Chapter One: Crossed Paths

}Dreamland, Royal's Mind

Royal stood silently, gazing up at a sapphire sky. No clouds, no sun, yet it was cool and bright. Comfortable, the way he likes it most. He loved dreams like this one, nothing happening, just ample time to think as he sat and slept the long night away.

And yet... Something felt different. Royal couldn't put his finger on it, but it was a sort of electric energy in the dream that he could almost feel, but not quite. As if spectral lightning bolts danced across his arms. Yeah, that's how he decided to describe this feeling. But why? This was the first time he had felt something like that in a dream. Was it adrenaline? Maybe, he decided silently.

What he didn't notice was the slow fading of his dream body, limbs fading, but still solid. And he gazed at the sky all alone, nothing else around...

"Royal?"

Royal looked around. Who said that? It sounded like a cacophony of voices of all ages and genders. A true Siren Song... Perhaps. "What?" He replied, despite his judgement.

"You need to wake up Royal..." The voice said, growing soft and silent, becoming one with the emptiness. But now it was true emptiness. The open sky and endless grass were fading to nothing around him, so he squeezed his eyes shut in terror, until...

A sharp kick hit him in the side.

}Umberwood, Venthyr

Running. Animalistic fear. That's all Esther felt. Someone had come after her. Someone wanted her head in a stick. She was a runaway slave now. She was forced to relive the memory, despite it being less than 5 minutes old.

It was uncanny. Within 10 minutes of failing to return, there was already someone on her trail. She was deep in the forest, but they were on top of her in no time.

But her magic was strong. This attacker was merely a lackey with poor training. He was not expecting a violent blast of shadowy magic to drill a hole on his head the moment he pounced. Esther didn't expect that either, she meant to use some kind of sleeping spell, even though she hardly knew the basics of it yet. But here she was. A murderer? Yes. Robotically, she had stripped the downed man of his sword and shield. The helmet was worthless now. It would have to do.

Esther shook her head. Now was not the time for memories, no matter how scary. She had to be brave, to stay brave for once in her life! She was going slowly with all the heavy stuff she was carrying.

And since she was more focused in what could be coming behind her, she didn't expect to trip over a body lying half on the "path" she was taking, especially since nearly nobody would think to run through the thick brambles of the woods. But, as tripping goes, she was now flat on top of this person, with a fresh bruise on her chin. And she was just about ready to cry, when...

"Hey! Ow, what was that..." Royal sat up, finding himself in a sense patch of bushes, with a small, pale girl sprawled across his lap, carrying a sword and shield that looked way too big for her.

Esther squeaked and whimpered. "I-I'm sorry! I wasn't looking, I didn't mean to trip on you, Mister..." She paused. This wasn't the camp. She didn't even know this person's gender. She knew plenty of girls with voices deeper than some of the men that supposedly kept them fed and on task.

Royal shook his head, wondering what on Earth was going on. A better look at this girl showed that she was small, looked like a vampire with no fangs, and couldn't possibly be much older than he was. So, as awkward as both the situation, and Royal himself, were, he attempted an introduction.

"It's uh, ok. I'm uh... My name is Royal." He tripped awfully over his words.

"Wh-huh?" Esther asked, bewildered. But she felt obligated to respond, it was hard drilled into her head. "My name's Esther..." She said, quietly and nervous.