Chapter 4: Ways of Living

Esther erratically ran around, wanting to see everything, touch everything, smell everything. Royal stayed close, keeping an eye on her as she acted like a small child. It wasn't too hard, Esther backed off whenever she was startled or hurt by something.

Of course, they attracted a lot of questioning glances from the residents of the village, but Esther didn't know and Royal didn't care much. Before too long, a few smaller children were following behind them, playing some kind of chasing game. It was starting to become a full on parade.

But the parade dispersed when Esther wandered close to a big, fancy looking home. Royal noticed this, and assessed the house. Using his limited knowledge of tribes, he concluded that this was Paku's home. He tried to let Esther know.

"Hey, I don't think we should poke at this one Esther..." It was already too late. Esther was peeking through a first story window in wonder. Royal couldn't help but wonder what she was looking at, but he didn't dare stray closer. And he felt very grateful for doing so, when Paku opened the door and slowly walked out. Esther didn't even notice until Paku poked her with his cane, causing her to jump.

"Now, what is this? Have you adventures come to pay old me a visit?" Paku asked, sounding pleasant. "What brings you here on this fine day?" He followed up, as if what had transpired only 2 hours ago was trivial.

"Oh, um, I was just exploring a little." Esther said meekly. Royal came out from his "hiding spot" and joined Esther, bowing his head.

"Now now, there is no shame in scouting out someplace you may or may not be staying. May I have the honor of showing you around properly?" Paku asked. Esther nodded excitedly, and Royal shrugged, going along with it. "As you wish, adventures. Follow me." Paku said, moving to walk towards the village.

As he walked quietly and slowly, people looked at Royal and Esther with odd expressions again, but didn't say anything. Eventually, he reached the village's main path, and started along it. He gestured towards the first "attraction".

"This is our humble bar." He said. "It's not much, but there aren't many other options nearby for fresh cooked food. It used to be an inn, but it only had one room. It's a storage room now." He explained, like he was showing an old friend a new toy. Esther looked at it impressed, while Royal pondered things idly. He was really only following to avoid having to sit around. After all, he couldn't exactly play mobile games here. But Esther was happy, so, it was worth it.

Paku moved on to the next building. "This is our general store. It's mostly for show, nobody buys much here. But every once in a while, someone will come by and get something. It sells wonderful pies." He seemed to want one at the moment, based on his expression as he said that.

There wasn't much else to show, really. But Paku did his best. "I'm afraid that's all our little village offers, adventures. Nonetheless, I do hope you enjoy your stay. You... Are staying, right?" He looked nervous.

Royal nodded, and Esther smiled. It was good enough of a sign. Internally, Paku was relieved. It was always nice having someone strong around. It deterred the problems. But this didn't go unnoticed by either teen as they watched Paku turn to go home. And personally, Royal wanted to talk about that a bit. But, later.

"Royal? Can we go to the bar? Please?" Esther made a cute face unintentionally, and Royal just folded, following along as Esther pranced into the warm ambience of the humble little bar. A single person, looking half woman, half wolf was cleaning the countertop with a few empty flagons and mugs nearby, and a single customer tucked into the corner, sipping something.

Esther ran up to the bartender, cloak fluttering behind her. The bartender looked up.

"I don't recognize you newcomers. What are you looking for?" She asked, tiredly.