Prologue

Burning torches and reflections in the pool of water were the only sources of light on the dark, rocky planet the Doctor found himself sitting on. His wife had to be uncomfortable the way she was lying on the ground, her head pillowed on his knee. Still, her face was peaceful, even though she had to feel his nerves as he gently ran his fingers through her hair.

"He has asked to see you," the head of the Sisterhood of Karn told the Doctor, looking down at the two Time Lords. "His servants seek you everywhere. Will you go?"

"No," the Doctor said briefly.

Ohila scoffed. "Why do you always lie?"

"Why do you always assume I'm lying?" the Doctor countered.

"It saves time," she answered. "The truth: will you go?"

To see someone who had nearly been the death of his wife? "No."

"When?" Ohila asked.

"Soon," the Doctor sighed.

"Why? Did something happen?"

The Doctor paused in his movements. "No."

"Was it recent?"

He glared at her. "Yes."

"Whatever it was, you owe that creature nothing."

The Doctor sighed, returning to stroking his wife's hair, his other hand tenderly on her side where he was able to feel the swelling of her stomach. "He and I've known each other a long time."

"You've been enemies for all of it," Ohila pointed out.

"An enemy's just a friend you don't really know yet," the Doctor snorted, then raised an eyebrow at her dubious look. "Sorry. What, was that me being cynical again?"

Ohila clicked her tongue. "Aren't we friends, Doctor?"

"That's different," the Doctor scoffed. "I don't like you!"

Ohila chuckled. "Which means you can trust me."

Jessie finally stirred, and the Doctor kissed her temple as she blearily blinked her eyes open. "About time to go, love."

"Stop feeling dread," Jessie mumbled, pinching the bridge of her nose as the Doctor helped her sit up. "How long was I out?"

"Er," the Doctor checked his watch. "Half an hour or so."

Jessie grumbled in annoyance. "Felt like a minute."

Ohila chuckled. "The wonders of pregnancy. How far along as you, my dear?"

"By my count?" Jessie tilted her head. "Thirteen months."

"Over a year now," Ohila smiled. "Congratulations."

"Thank you."

"But onto the reasons why we are here," the Doctor slipped a hand into his hoodie. Jessie did the same with her jacket, and Ohila's eyebrows raised as both extended metal discs with engravings to her: the Doctor's dark gold with Gallifreyan, Jessie's white gold with a wolf carved in it. "You know who to give these to?" the Doctor asked.

"Yours, yes indeed," Ohila nodded, taking the Doctor's. "Your blood bonded's, though . . . "

"It'll find its way there," Jessie said.

Ohila gingerly took hers, and the Doctor nodded. "We won't go straight away. I want to hang out for a bit. Probably meditate on a rock somewhere, get myself ready."

"And you want to avoid taking me there as long as you can," Jessie smirked.

"Yes, always protect my blood bonded and child, I thought that was obvious, love."

Ohila watched the Doctor stand and help Jessie up. "You are embarking on an enterprise that will end in your destruction."

The Doctor smirked. "You could say that about being born."

"You're really making me feel wonderful, my love," Jessie sighed, rubbing her back.

The Doctor squeezed her gently, and Ohila held up the discs pointedly. "Wherever you go, there are people who care enough to find you."

Jessie smiled sadly. "We know."

"Look after the universe for us?" the Doctor asked. "We've put a lot of work into it."

Ohila sighed, watching them turn to leave. "Anyone can hide from an enemy, Doctor. No one from a friend."

***

Consider this a promise from me . . . I have not abandoned my Doctor Who works and I plan on going through with my promise. And with this whole pandemic thing going on still, I'm writing where my mojo's pointing.

Most people who answered wanted this story finished all the way through, and considering the plans I have for it, I think that's what I'll run with. I'm very interested in seeing how I can keep with a story if I focus all my attention on it and not switching between books.

So, who's ready for an adventure? ;)