Episode SEVEN

Author's note: First off without even reading a word. What's going through your mind as you see the header picture? 

Roni

Halfway through the appointment Roni was finally able to relax a little. Everything seemed so routine, Roni had begun to wonder if maybe Mat really didn't remember. Except for a few times when she thought he'd held her gaze a little too long, he'd been a perfect gentleman with the quintessence of professionalism. It was such a pleasant surprise she'd actually begun to feel a little guilty. But she was glad she was able now to stop thinking about that and concentrate on what she was really there for.

After several tests were performed, a young lady in plain clothes walked in with a few wooden puzzles like the many Jack had at home. She introduced herself to Roni and Jack as just Tina, not nurse this or doctor anything. Mat had already informed Roni that some of the tests would be done by other technicians, but they wouldn't be in scrubs or medical coats. It was to give Jack the feel that he was just playing. Not at a doctor's office being tested.

"Sometimes something that simple makes a difference in kid's interactions."

Once Tina was sitting comfortably on the floor with Jack, Mat stood and motioned to Roni to follow him. "Jack, your mom and I will be right back. We just have to fill out more paperwork, okay?"

Jack barely acknowledged them as he continued with his puzzle. Roni eyed Mat questionably. As soon as they were out of the room with the door closed, Mat turned to explain. He pointed at the door right next door. "That mirror in that room is a two-way mirror. It's how I get to observe my patients without the distraction of their parents or a doctor sitting in a room. You'd be surprised how different kids' personalities can be when they're not around their parents." He turned to face her with a smile as held the door open for the dimly lit room next door. "It's why so many parents are shocked that their sweet little shy child is actually a terror or class clown in school."

Mat explained about the dim lights being needed so that even their shadows wouldn't be seen from the other room. Roni wondered if Jack would act any different. Chairs that looked more like barstools sat in front of the two-way mirror since it was a lot higher than a table. Mat motioned for her to have a seat, though he pushed his chair away and stood next to her in front of the mirror instead. They watched silently for a few minutes, though Roni wasn't sure what exactly they were looking for.

"I always did love your sweet curls."

Stunned was the only word to describe what Roni felt when she turned to look into Mat's playful eyes. She wasn't even sure why she was surprised. She should've known he couldn't have changed too much. Roni hadn't been exaggerating when she told Nellie he was an insatiable flirt.

"But the straight hair fits you well too. The curls are sweet, but this is sexy. So, both ways are perfect on you."

Swallowing hard, Roni did her best to keep her cool. "Aren't you supposed to be observing my son?"

"I'm glad you came back."

"Of course, I came back." She spoke almost through her teeth. "My son is the only reason I'm here."

"I thought I'd never see you again. Was our reunion really"—he took a step closer to her, lowering his eyes to her lips before bringing them back up to meet hers–"fortuitous, Roni?"

"Fortuitous is not the word I'd choose for the complete coincidence, but just so we're clear, I had no idea who you were until you sent that picture."

"Oh, come on, Roni. We finally have a chance to give into our mutual attraction. Finish what we were never able to. Why fight it—?"

The ruckus at the door interrupted his infuriating drivel. Before Roni could even begin to retort, the door swung open.