Episode Twelve - Conclusion

Roni

It might've taken a little longer for things to feel completely back to the way they'd been before the whole Mateo fiasco. Ironically the very day they'd hashed things out—the day Noah had actually believed even for a moment that he'd lost Roni—they found out they were going to be parents again. Roni got the call later that day about her positive test results. It'd been the furthest thing from Roni's mind since she was still trying to shake off the guilt of what she'd put Noah through. Thankfully, the call changed the mood dramatically, and it ceased all talk of Mateo since all they discussed after getting the news was their new blessing.

Even though Roni had been taken by surprise and feeling a little nervous about having yet another child to obsess about, she couldn't be more thankful for the timing now. It'd been days since the blowout, and they'd been so consumed with talk of her new pregnancy, neither had mentioned it. Despite all that, Roni knew better than to think Noah would be completely forgetting any time soon—if ever.

Just that morning as they'd gotten ready to head out, Roni's phone had dinged on the counter in the kitchen as Noah filled his commuter mug. He made no qualms about picking her phone up to see who'd texted her.

"Dora from daycare is asking if Jack's coming in today." He handed her the phone and kissed her. "I'll see you at the gym. I gotta get going."

Roni texted Dora back, finished getting Jack ready, and headed out herself. They'd been back at the gym several days since that weekend, and Roni still couldn't get over the unnerving thought that Mateo might actually have the gall to show up. It would've been bad enough even if things hadn't gone down the way they had. She knew just seeing him would've been enough to annoy Noah and make things a little tense. Only now his showing his face here would be so much worse. She just prayed he wouldn't be that stupid.

Today was once again her workout day, so she'd dressed for the occasion. After handling her workload in the office, she met Nellie on the treadmills. "Is Noah all over you about how much you should or shouldn't be working out?"

Roni rolled her eyes but smiled. "Of course. Made me promise I'd take it easy, but it's not like I ever go hard anyway."

Nellie laughed. "Remember our first workout at this place? It nearly killed us."

Laughing, Roni nodded. "I remember sweating like a pig but refusing to take my sweatshirt off and reveal all my jiggling." That made her giggle more. "Remember how insulted I'd been when he guessed my weight?"

Refraining from snorting, Roni shook her head. For a second, she wondered if maybe Nellie hadn't heard her because she didn't respond nor laugh and here Roni was getting a bad case of the giggles.

"What are you—?" The dramatic change in mood was instant as Roni turned and nearly choked when she saw what Nellie was looking at.

Mateo was walking through the middle aisle of the gym without a care in the world. "That son of a bitch," Roni said under her breath.

"Where's Noah?" Nellie asked, looking around.

With her heart racing now, Noah's words suddenly played over and over in Roni's head as she slowed the pace on her treadmill and looked around.

God, I hope that fucker shows up.

Roni didn't even have to look long or hard. To her horror, Noah was already practically sprinting in Mateo's direction. He'd been especially livid the day she spilled it all, about Mateo being so relentless and that, even after Derek had confronted him, he'd continued to pursue her.

Both she and Nellie watched as Mateo stopped in his tracks when he saw Noah rushing to him. He dropped his gym bag moments before Noah landed a right hook to his face. Roni's heart nearly gave out as she hit the stop button on her treadmill and started off.