Chapter4

You are roused from your slumber by persistent scratchy knocking at your new room's door. Your eyelids flutter as your senses begin to wake up, too, sensations lazily creeping through your nerves, the bed-now warm and comfortable enough after a night's rest-pressing against you supportively. You glance around the room; it is not much compared to the others, since it is just a spare room. The rest have somewhat decorated theirs with personal things like hidden letters, comics, cigarettes or snacks. You groan and pull the covers over your head, wishing the person would stop knocking.

It does not.

"Yo kiddo," a familiar-albeit muffled-voice calls from the other side of the door, "wake up already. I ain't gonna have some amateur takin' over my job after my contract's gone."

You flip yourself over and grumble into the pillow. You are not a morning person. But the near-whine of the Scout has you sighing in annoyance as you prop yourself up on your elbows. "Go away, Scout," you say, loud enough for the other to hear.

"Nuh-uh, get outta dere. We got some serious Scout-trainin' ta do-" Metallic clicking and swishing snatches your attention. "Oh hey, it wasn't locked."

You immediately kick off your blanket and swing your legs over the edge of the bed. The expression of shock on your face is failed to be concealed. "W-when...!"

The Scout stands in front of you, looking back at the door left ajar. He claps his bandaged hands together. "Well, since dat's outta da way, go get ready, toots, da Admin lady told me ta show you some Scout tricks. We got maps ta check out. Well, you do, dey'ah all old maps f' me; gamed dere tons of times." He grabs your wrist. "C'mon toots!"

You yelp loudly, suddenly, and stumble forward. You instantly jerk your arm back. The sudden force has him staggering back slightly, but not as bad as you since you are relatively smaller.

The runner looks down at you. You narrow your eyes in annoyance and point at the doorway without a word. He tilts his head, the dog tags around his neck jingling softly with movement.