Chapter 8: Cotton Candy

(Y/n)'s POV

Tonight Charles and I were going on our first date. Well, our first official date. Herc and John would like to argue that the day at the coffee shop was our first date, but I digress. Charles wouldn't tell me where we were going, but he told me to dress casually. No matter how much I tried to get him to tell me, he kept insisting that it was going to be a surprise. He was cheesy that way.

I pulled on a floral patterned long-sleeve tee and some jeans, before slipping on some sneakers. Shortly after, I heard a knock on the door. I opened it to reveal a smiling Charles Lee. He was wearing his favorite blue hoodie that said, "I'm a general, wheeeee." I chuckled to myself, and made a mental note to steal that hoodie from him later.

"Are you ready for your surprise?" Charles said, linking his arm with mine after I locked the door behind me. I rolled my eyes as we walked to his sedan, sliding into the passenger seat.

"Depends," I replied. "Are you ready to tell me what it is?" I looked at him hopefully as he started the car. He turned and leaned closer to me, and for a split second I though he might kiss me. I panicked when his lips seemed mere inches from mine, but Charles only pulled away with a sly smile.

"Patience is a virtue, (Y/n)," he said softly, laughing at the way that my face was burning. He pulled out of the parking lot and I looked out the window, trying to calm my racing heart. I was going to get him back for that. We made some small talk but not much, because Charles had to focus on driving.

~

We'd been driving for a while, and I still had no idea where we were going. "Oh, um, we're getting closer now, so there's something in the glove compartment that I want you to put on," Charles spoke up. I opened it and pulled out what was in there, shooting him a quizzical look.

"Is this some kind of kink?" I joked, holding up a blindfold. This time, it was his turn to turn red.

"Ha ha, (Y/n). It's so you don't catch an early glimpse of the surprise I know you're dying to see," Charles said. He still looked embarrassed, and I could tell it was taking everything in him to keep his eyes on the road. Grudgingly, I put the blindfold on. Whatever the surprise was, he was going to great lengths to make sure it stayed a surprise.

After about ten minutes, the car slowed to a stop. "We're here, but don't take the blindfold off just yet." I didn't need to be looking at him to know that Charles was grinning. I heard his door open and close, and then he came around to my side of the car. I unbuckled my seat belt and Charles helped me step out. One of his hands held mine and the other was on the small of my back, as he lead me to wherever we were going. As we approached, I could hear laughter and the faint sound of....music?

"Okay, you can look now," Charles whispered, moving out from behind me to stand at my side. I took off the blindfold, and I was met with dazzling lights. All around me people were milling about, and rollercoasters were working at full power. I turned to look at Charles with a smile of my face. "I hope you like carnivals," he said, looking at me expectantly.

I stretched up and gave him a peck on the cheek, causing a light blush to appear on his face. I tugged at his hand and pulled him further into the fair. "Oh, I'm dragging you onto all of the really scary rides," I said, my eyes already lighting up with anticipation. Charles only laughed, and he let me drag him into the line for the closest rollercoaster.

~

As it started getting very late into the night, Charles and I had ridden almost every ride at the carnivals. We were walking around at looking at some of the games, when one caught my eye. I ushered Charles past before he could see it, and I tried to remember where it was so I could come back to it later. While he was buying cotton candy, I slipped away from him and walked back to the game.