TEN

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN

IT'S BEEN A WEEK SINCE JOL AND ELIZABETH meet Boston and Shane. Since the incident, both Jol and Boston have been at each other throats. Wether with petty insults or childish pranks, the two just couldn't help but be mean to each other. However, it was the opposite with Elizabeth Shane, they seemed to get along just fine. Their relationship was pretty mellow and it was clear that Shane had a soft spot for the princess.

"I can't believe you like Princess Elizabeth," Boston said in disgust. The two were walking to the castle gates with their grandmother behind him. Shane looked down at his shoes bashfully, "I d-do not!"

"So then why are you gonna give her flowers then?" Shane blushed as he quickly hid the handful of daises behind his back. Boston laughs but gets smacked upside the head by Selia. She glares down at her grandson, "Now, Boston. I thought you would've gotten that mouth under control by now."

Boston whines, holding the new throbbing bump on his head. "It's not like I said anythin' mean! I was just sayin' the truth!"

"Even if your brother does like the princess, there's no need to make fun of him about it." Selia scolds. She puts her hands on Shane's shoulders and leans down to peck his cheek. "Don't listen to your brother, ok?"

"Ok..." he muttered. Soon the family made it inside the castle where Jol and Elizabeth were waiting for them. In the distance stood King with Meliodas and Ban near him. They both wanted to say goodbye to the kids before leaving for their next expedition. Though for King, he looked like he wants to tag along for a different reason and Meliodas noticed. He glances over at King, "Hey, King? You alright? You got this weird look at your face."

"I do?" he asks, cluelessly.

"Aww, come on Captain!" Ban laughs, slinging his arm around his buddy. "You know King always has that sour look on his face!"

King irks, "I do not!"

"Knock it off, Ban. But seriously, what's up?" Meliodas asks again. King shrugs off Ban's arm and looks down at the floor. He waits before answering, "In all honesty, I came with you guys to talk to Merlin."

"Merlin?"

Ban rose a brow, "Ha? Why you wanna go see her?"

"It's none of your business."

"Geez, I was just askin." King rolls his eyes at Ban's sad tone. He turns to Meliodas, "Have you seen her? I've been wanting to talk to her since last week."

"Yeah, she's in her workshop. What were you gonna- huh?" before Meliodas could finish King flew away. The blonde turned to Ban confused but the immortal only shrugged his shoulders. King's fake smile dropped into a frown as he got closer to Merlin's workshop. His mind racing with the same question that's been plaguing his mind ever since Jol got to the castle. 'I gotta know,' he thought. 'I gotta know if she's really connected to the forest!'

With a final turn, King found himself in the front of Merlin's door. He took a deep breath before knocking. When he heard a calm voice telling him to come in, he opened the door. Just as he predicted, Merlin was working on an experiment with a book in one hand and her other hand on her hip. She glances at King before looking back down at her vigil. "What can I do for you, King?"

"I don't need anything really. I just came to ask a question."

"I assume this is about Jol, isn't it?" King flinches but nods. Merlin continues, "I was actually wondering when you were going to ask me about it."

"When Jol said that she was born from the Sacred Tree, what exactly does that mean?"

"To answer your question, Jol wasn't exactly born Sacred Tree per se. Instead, she was simply born in the way any fairy would be born," she answers, closing her book of spells and puts her hands on her, letting out a sigh. "However, that's all I can tell you."

King's eyes widened in shock.

"What? What do you mean that's all you can tell me?!"

"I mean it's not my place to say more about Jol's upbringing. All you need to know is that Jol simply Tanaka's child, nothing more nothing less."

"Not only Jol but Tanaka. What do you know about her? I saw how you and the Captain are all mushy with her!"

Merlin chuckles, "Tanaka is a close friend to the Captain and me. We go back as some say." After she said that, Merlin could tell that still wasn't good enough for King. His face stayed in a contorted frown.

"Why? Why are you not telling me the whole truth?" King asks again, with bitterness dripping from his words.

Merlin sighs as she shakes her head. "I'll say this only once King," she said, coming closer to her ally to the point she was right beside him. "It isn't my place to tell a story that isn't mine."

With that, Merlin leaves her workshop and closes the door behind her. King stands still, alone. His hands clench into a fist as he grits his teeth in utter frustration.

"DAMN IT!"