Chapter 9

I apologise in advance for this chapter but my brain is completely fried from exams. Hopefully you guys will kind of like it though - vote and comment:)

THANK YOU FOR 3K!

"Elle stop." Grayson says, removing my hands from his face and separating our bodies.

"Why?" I ask. My brow furrows in confusion.

"We can't do this." Grayson replies defeatedly. I instantly recoil my hands from his, trying to mask the hurt from my eyes.

"But why?"

"Because I know your feelings for me are not genuine enough for this." He indicates at the space between us. "I refuse to take this any further until I know that you're not just kissing me to calm me down or shut me up."

My cheeks flame. Whether its from the embarassment of rejection or from the fact that he has seen through my veil, I'm not sure. I cannot deny that no matter what my intention of the kiss was, it felt...good. I shudder at my shallow thoughts. In the time that I'm engrossed within my own thoughts, Grayson has begun to walk away.

"Wait. Why do you always walk away?"

"Self preservation." He replies over his shoulder. For once, I want to know why my match who was so in favour of marriage is so keen to avoid me now. I follow my heart and run after him until I'm in front of him. I place my hands on his chest to stop him.

"Self preservation of what?"

"Do you not recall any of our conversations. You don't want me remember? Now move out of my way." He glares at me.

"I said I'd try."

"Then you ran away." Grayson fires back.

"Well I'm not running anymore."

"How I am supposed to trust you?" Grayson replies.

"I could ask you a similar question. How I am supposed to trust you when I've been locked up in this cave for the past two weeks?"

Grayson sighs and tries to brush me off. However I step in his way, blocking him again and forcing him to answer me.

"Why do you think I kept you here Elle? Because you kept trying to leave me." Grayson says. "I've seen the effects."

My curiousity spikes. "Effects of what?"

"I'm going to bed." Grayson sighs. I roll my eyes in frustration and stand in his way once again.

"Elle move." He says wearily.

"What effects?" I repeat, more forcefully this time. Grayson's expression of contempt has my confident resolve starting to crack.