Chapter 12 (unedited)

A/N
Here is the next chapter. Sorry for the late update. Life got in the way ;)
The picture is Jack's house.
Enjoy.

Jack POV

She had adopted the kid? I couldn't believe it. This only showed how wrong I have been in judging her based on some stupid photos and by listening to Jennifer. I was best friends with Jennifer for years and she always watched my back and had saved me from embarrassing situations one to many times so I didn't doubt her when she told me that she had proof that Nikki was cheating on me. It killed me to see those photos and the fact that I was already jealous about her relationship with Daniel didn't help either. He was gay?!!! The man looked more straight then I do. How could I be so stupid and not believe Nikki. She never showed any signs that she was interested in my money. I had to make it up to her.

"I will let you two talk." I said embarrassed that I had created yet another problem for her. "Nice meeting you kid." I waved to the kid and grabbed my jacket from the couch so I could leave.

"Just leave us alone please. You have caused enough trouble for us already." Nikki said with in a low voice to me when she was opening the door for me.

She looked so fragile and I felt like the lowest jerk because it was all my fault.

" I know that the most honorable thing to do is to leave you alone Nikki but I can't. I love you so much it kills me to know that I was so unjust with you. I promise you that I will make it up to you. I don't care how long it takes or what it takes but I will win you back. I was a fool to let you go once, I won't be a fool again." I said to her looking her in the eye trying to make her see my soul. I wanted her to understand that despite everything I never stopped loving her.

"Just go please." She begged and I just nodded.

The need to go in a club and get drunk to forget everything f*cked up that I did was really strong but then I remember my father always saying: "When things get tough smart people don't give up and panic, they take action."

I took my iPhone and dialed his number trying to find answers about everything. After the phone ringed twice he picked up.

"Mr. Ryder. What can I do for you?"

"Porter I know it's late but can we meet now? I want your report about Mrs. Hunter now and I also want your services for someone else."

"The report is almost ready sir. Where do you want to meet?" He asked

"My house. No one can disturb us there." I said taking the keys of my car out and getting in.

"I will be there in half an hour sir."

"Great." I said disconnecting the call.

It took me 20 minutes to go home and when I parked my car in the garage I saw that Porter had already parked his car in the driveway. The man was fast and efficient.

"Hello sir." He said shaking my hand

"Sorry for the time Porter but I needed the info urgently. You have the file?"

"Right here." He showed me the file that he had on his hand and we both went to my office without any other words. I sat in my chair an motioned him with my hand to do the same and sit in the chair opposite to me.

"Tell me everything."

"Nicole Hunter. Born August 1, 1990. She..."

"I know these details, skip to the part after she divorced me." I interrupted him.

"Ok sir." He said skipping the first page and reading the second one.

"Right after she left you she lived with Daniel for 6 months. She worked in the beginning like a waitress and part time photographer. She struggled financially for a while and that's why she couldn't move out of his home. After that she went back to college where she finished with honors and got different scholarships too. She still worked part time as a photograph and also sold some of her paintings."

"Sorry to interrupt but what do you mean she had financial problems? She got $5 millions from the divorce. With that money she didn't need to work at all." I was confused at this point

"The thing is sir that she donated all the money to different charities. She didn't keep a penny." He shrugged like it was normal for someone to donate all the money they had to charity.

"How about the clothes. They were worth thousands of dollars."

"She sold them."

"Aha" I said. I was hoping that at least she had had something to get by.

"And gave the money to charities."

"Damn it. What was wrong with her. Couldn't she keep at least a portion of the money?" I was frustrated that she gave away everything. But the truth was that I wasn't frustrated with her, I was pissed off with myself for pushing her away and making her suffer. What kind of person does that. I would burn in hell for what I did to my Nikki.

"Well it looks like she didn't want to keep anything that came from you sir."

"I know and it's all my fault"

"Should I continue?" He asked and I just motioned him to do so.

"After getting her degree she went to Africa where she tutored children by teaching them English and how to draw. She also volunteered in different medical centers there in one of which she met Michael, her current boyfriend." He said and I was trying to control my anger thinking that he replaced me and again it was all my fault. How much of a stupid have I been to lose the most important person in my life. I would give all my fortune away if it meant that she would forgive me and be mine again.

"There she also met Theresa Thornton, an art curator that was five months pregnant at the time. They become really god friends and when she had a car accident that cost her life Mrs. Hunter was the one who took care of everything including adopting Alexander Thornton that was only two months old at the time. After that continued to do charity work but also changed her artistic name to Blackheart. No one knew she was Blackheart except Jeff Smith which she met while working as a freelance photographer. They become close friends when he learned that she had adopted a child and that child was his nephew since  Theresa Thornton was the daughter of his dead sister. He has been helping her with the kid ever since."

"That's enough. I don't need to know anything else. I already knew her, I just lost sight of her in a moment of rage." I said while rubbing my temples trying to get rid of my headache and heartache.

"Do you have someone you love Mr.Porter?"

"You can call me Nick sir,and yes I do. Been happily married for 5 years." He said smiling probably thinking about his wife.

"Then go home and tell her that you love her. Don't be stupid like I did, losing the one that I loved the most."

"I will do sir. Do you need anything else before I leave?"

"Call me Jack. Sir makes me feel old. I want you to find all the dirt that you can about Jennifer Saks."

"Your fiancé?" He asked surprised

"She is the reason that I broke up with me wife by giving me false information. I want her to pay for everything." I said pinching the bridge of my nose trying to control my anger. How could she do that? Destroying my happiness for no reason at all. Or maybe she had her reasons, I just had to find out what they were.

"She won't be my fiancé after tonight." I told Nick while he just nodded and left my office, a smile tugging in his face.

Tomorrow I would break my engagement with Jennifer and would try to move earth and heaven so Nikki could give me a chance.