Chapter 16: Secrets

Hearing a knock at the door, I stood up from my place and walked to the door. As I walked, I did not forget to keep my beloved pillow hugged to me tightly. I really love my pillow - especially when it helps me to hide my beautiful curves.

Opening the door, I saw a young servant standing.

"I came here to tell..." she started but then stopped and her eyes went wide open. "What happened to you, Miss?" She said with her mouth forming an O hidden behind her hand. "You look like... like sleep deprived."

Sleep deprived? In other words: not beautiful? This is all Lewis's fault!

"You came here to tell?" I smiled a smile which meant 'don't you dare say another word about my look!'

"Oh, yes. I came here to tell you that breakfast will be served in half an hour."

"Okay. Thank you for informing. We will be there on time."

She bowed her head slightly before leaving.

I closed the door and turned to Lewis, who was still focusing on his laptop.

"You heard?" I asked.

He lifted his head and looked at me. "About breakfast? Yes, I heard. You can go. I am not going. I have a task to complete." And he returned his attention back to the laptop without waiting for my reply. Well, I wasn't going to reply anyway.

I got dressed and ready for breakfast in half an hour. Before leaving the room, I went to pick my mobile but found its battery dead. I connected it to the charger on the bedside table, which is supposed to be mine, and left it in the room.

When I reached the dining room, I found that only Emma and her father, James Ernest, were present in the large room. Other than them was only the servant to serve the breakfast. The atmosphere seemed dull.

"Good morning," I greeted them as I entered the room.

"Good morning," both of them replied, smiling at me. Their father seemed to smile because of formality. While Emma's smile seemed that of happiness. Strange.

"Lewis said he won't be coming for breakfast," I informed as I sat down on the chair beside Emma, as she had indicated. She didn't exactly tell me to sit there, but the way she looked from me to the chair, I knew she wanted me to sit beside her. "He said he is busy," I continued.

"Ok," Mr Ernest replied.

No one said anything after that. We started eating in awkward silence. I was too used to noisy breakfasts and dinners at home, especially the annoying noise of Caro's continues blabbing.

"So," Mr Ernest tried to start a conversation, "how was your night?"

Seriously? Couldn't he select a better topic?

"Good," I lied. It was the worst night of my whole life.

I turned my attention back to my breakfast, not looking at Mr Ernest, so that he doesn't ask anyother question.

I glanced at Emma, who was glancing at me from the corner of her eye, every now and then. It looked like she wanted to talk to me, but didn't know how to.

"The breakfast is really good," I started the conversation, and I was better at it than Mr Ernest, obviously. Or no, not just better. I was the best at everything. "I like this omelette." Saying that, I looked at Emma, making her reply.

"I like it too," she replied happily.

I don't know if she actually liked it or not, because I didn't like it. Maybe she simply agreed with what I said. She is so adorable.