Part 15

Something woke you up in the middle of the night. Perhaps it was the sound of the door shutting, or it could've been the cold. Either way, something was off; you'd fallen asleep warm but woken up with chills.

You always lowered the thermostat at night; it helped you sleep better. Now you were regretting that decision.

Turning over in bed, you looked at the clock on your bedside table— 4 am. It was earlier than you thought.

Might as well get out of bed and go grab a glass of water or something before trying to fall back asleep. And you should raise the thermostat while you were at it, you thought.

You squinted a few times to shake the sleep from your body and untucked the covers so you could get up. Even colder.

As you stumbled into the living room, your eyes adjusted to the darkness, bringing into focus something that certainly hadn't been there a few hours ago.

There was something on the kitchen counter.

You sauntered carefully over to where the foreign object appeared to be, making as little noise as possible so as to not disturb Spencer.

Spencer.

Spinning around, you turned to face the couch and were met with a picture of empty cushions. He was nowhere to be seen.

You frowned, looking down the hallway to see if potentially he was in the bathroom, but there was no sign of him.

Inching closer to the countertop, you realized that it was a piece of paper. Hesitantly, you grabbed it from its perch and turned on the light in the kitchen, where you were finally able to see what was written on it.

Last night was good. Had to go take care of some things. See you at work. XO - S

You weren't sure what to pay attention to most: the fact that he'd signed XO, or that he'd left in the middle of the night.

That's what had woken you up, you realized— the sound of the door shutting.

A twinge of anger twisted in your stomach but was valiantly fought off by the odd endearment you felt.
He'd written you a note, be it short and somewhat confusing.

Reminding yourself of the reason why you were in the kitchen in the first place, you set the paper down, grabbed a glass from the cupboards, and filled it up with water.

Once you were done, you tip-toed back into your room with Spencer's note in hand. Even though you were the only one home, you still tried to be quiet. If you acted like you needed to be, you could pretend like you were trying not to wake him up.

You could pretend he was still there.

...

Spencer walked into the BAU two weeks later wearing a ghoul mask; it was Halloween. The holiday had always fascinated him.

If the mask wasn't enough, he also had a noose wrapped around his neck and was wearing gloves meant to resemble the hands of a monster like creature.

He snuck up behind Morgan at his desk, growling "I'm going to eat you!" in his best scary voice.

Morgan jumped.
"Reid," he said, exasperated.

Prentiss laughed, turning to you and pointing as if to say "Look at these idiots."

"Happy All Hallows' Eve, folks!" Spencer beamed, removing his mask, "To paraphrase from Celtic mythology, tonight all order is suspended, and the barriers between the natural and the supernatural are temporarily removed!"