Chapter Six: Intuition

A/N: Just letting you know the events of this chapter are not canon and are just for the sake of this fanfiction. :)

"Where are you going? It's the middle of the day." I say.

Kocho grabs her sheathed sword and attaches it to her belt. She still hasn't talked to me about how she's feeling. She looks a little worried.

"I have a mission near my hometown, but I'm getting a bad feeling. I'm going to drop by and check on everyone first." she explains, she leaves the room and heads to the front door of the Estate.

I follow her. "I'll come too. I don't have a mission. Consider this payback for when you helped me on your day off."

She turns in my direction and nods without arguing. Her lips are pressed together in a thin line. She's tense.

We hurry to the train station and enter the last train car, with the fewest people. Drawing attention is something the members of the Demon Hunter Corps try to avoid at all times. Kocho ignores the looks she gets from the men in the car, and takes a sea at the back. I glare at all of them and slide in next to her.

"Maybe you shouldn't have worn your uniform yet." I take a quick look out the window.

Even through Kocho's uniform is probably the most decent one for women in the Corps, it's still considered a bit revealing, and so she doesn't like to wear it in public.

She shakes her head, twisting her fingers together in her lap. "I have a feeling I'll need to have it on."

Kocho has great intuition, and I begin to worry. What she's worried about probably isn't a demon, and I remember she told me she came from a small town, so the possibility of a murderer in town is very low. I wonder she could be worried about.

She seems to read my mind, because she answers my unspoken question. "It's fire season."

I cock my head inquisitively.

"There is a thick forest right beside the town. During this time of year, fires are common, but most of them are put out by the firefighting crew before they reach the town. It hasn't happened yet, but if there's a fire too intense for the firefighting crew to put out, it could burn down the entire town."

She stops for a second to catch her breath. "And it's not as if the firefighting crew is made of professionals. They're mostly just townspeople who volunteer every year."

I don't know what to say, so I just stay silent. It's just a hunch, but her hunches are usually right. I try not to think about it. Instead, I try to take her mind off of it. I order spicy food, and have to chug two full glasses of water to make my mouth stop flaming. She laughs, but it's probably forced.

She stares out the window, deep in thought. She's probably thinking up ways to stop the fire if her hunch is correct. I leave her to her thoughts, knowing that there is no way I can help.

From the deepest depths of my heart, I pray that her hunch is wrong. She can't afford to lose even more than she already has.

But a tiny voice in the back of my mind whispers things I don't want to hear. I tell it to shut up.  I can't manipulate fate, even though, somehow, time turned backwards for me just that once.

A/N: This one's a pretty short chapter, but it was mostly just the suspense. Do you think Shinobu's guess is correct? Thanks for reading!