Chapter Ten: Questions

A/N: Sorry I haven't updated for a while! I was starting an original story on my new account. I'd appreciate it if you would check it out. It's called "Tale of the Lost Warrior" and my account is @wordmage13. Thank you! <3 (Also, I think I could do a lot better so I'll probably edit it a lot ahaha.)

"Tsugoku," I say, calling the girl.

She turns slightly, looking a little confused. "Are you talking to me, Tomioka-sama?" She folds up the note she was reading and tucks into a hidden pocket on her uniform.

I nod, leading her out of the room and into one of the smaller gardens. "What I'm about to tell you is a secret. Don't tell it to anyone else." I say.

The Tsugoku agrees, inclining her head. She's prompting me to continue. I take a deep breath and explain everything. By the end of my explanation, Tsuyuri's eyes are as wide as dinner plates.

"Can you prove it somehow, Tomioka-sama?" she asks.

I wrack my brain for some kind of proof, and a random memory pops up in my head. "In ten minutes, Kocho should get a patient who is suffering from a high fever and a stab wound in his thigh. She is going to tell him that he won't be able to fight anymore."

I was in the same room when it happened last time, and the only reason I remembered was because it was the first time I had ever seen Kocho order a swordsman to retire. Kanao bites her lip, deep in thought. Finally her eyes harden.

"I believe you, Tomioka-sama. But what made you want to help nee-san so much?" she asks, a strength in her voice that I don't think I've heard before.

I open my mouth, but I don't know what to say. I don't know for sure what I feel for Kocho. I know I love her, but I don't know anything more than that. "I know her well, and she's one of the few people I consider a friend." I tell her, my thoughts still bouncing around inside my head, weightless, drifting.

I need to answer that question, properly. Someday, I'll tell Kocho how I feel about her. I hope that day eventually comes. I turn my attention back to the Tsugoku. "Will you help me?"

When she looks back at me, her eyes are steel and her jaw is set. "Of course, Tomioka-sama."

---

That night, I'm sent on a mission. I've been on this mission before. But the last time, I got to my destination too late. The demon had already killed a middle-aged woman and one of her children. This time, I'm not late, and I finish off the monster before it can sink it's teeth into the mother.

The woman thanks me, tears pouring from her eyes, arms around her frightened children. I give her a couple words of comfort and then get on my way. I need to go back to the Butterfly Estate. Last time, on this same mission, the demon's claws had sliced my left forearm, and I'd had to stay at the Estate again for a week. I didn't get injured by the demon this time, so I draw my blade across my own arm, creating a gash as long as the one I got last time, but not as deep.

I might not be able to stay for a week this time, but I'll just injure myself on my next mission and go back. The other Corps members can take care of all the missions I'll be missing during my recovery time. I trudge through the muddy, ankle-deep snow with my bloody arm hanging by my side. I don't have anything to bandage it with, but I'm not too far from the Estate, so I should be fine.

After an hour of trekking through the freezing slush, I arrive at the Estate and head inside. Luckily, the sun has just risen, and Kocho is back from her mission. I feel guilty for taking up her time, but now is the perfect chance to make her talk.

"Kocho,"

She turns around at the sound of my voice, then turns back to her patient to finish bandaging his wounds. "You can lie down on the far bed. I'll be there in a second," she says, spreading ointment on another minor wound. She pats the swordsman on the shoulder and smiles. "As for you, you're good to go! Take it easy on your next few missions, though. You don't want your stiches to burst."

The man gets up, blushing, mutters a quick thank-you, and scurries out the door. I stop myself from glaring at him, and lie down on the mattress Kocho indicated. She wraps up the roll of bandages, takes a look at my arm, and hurries over to me.

"Ara ara, Tomioka-san~. You really don't know how to be careful, do you?" she slides a container of disinfectant into her palm and strides across the room, swiping a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a handful of cotton balls along the way. She sets the supplies on the table next to me and sits down on the bed. "Tomioka-san, I'm going to need you to take off your haori."

I awkwardly peel my haori off, trying not to strain my left arm as I do so, and put it down on my other side. She's done this multiple times before, but my stomach still flutters when she gently grabs my arm and pulls back my sleeve. I want to pull her closer to me. The gentle wings beating inside my gut morph into a giant's hand, twisting and yanking dangerously. I swallow my saliva and ignore the tingling in my fingers.

"You'll need to stay here for three days, so we can treat your arm properly."

I nod. She purses her lips and begins to clean and bandage my arm. She doesn't make idle chatter, like she usually does. She knows what I'm about to ask her.

"Talk to me now. We're somewhere more comfortable now, like you said." I command.

Kocho doesn't try to argue. Instead, she hangs her head. "Fine." she stops a moment to collect herself before she opens her mouth again. Before I know it, she's poured the whole story of her life out, and her hands are shaking, gripping the sheets so tight her knuckles are white.

I can't say anything. I don't know what to say. I understand the pain of losing one's parents and elder sister, but my understanding ends there. She's lost so much. Far more than me, and she's gone through horrors such that no one should. Unsure if my actions will help, but willing to try all the same, I entwine my fingers with hers. She jolts at first, but quickly realizes that I don't intend to do anything else, and relaxes. She doesn't sob, or even breathe raggedly, but tears run down her face, and she pulls her legs to her chest, leaning back so she won't fall off the bed.

I sit up, tempted to wrap my arms around her and hold her close, but settle for just moving closer, so she knows I'm here, that I won't judge her. It's all I can do for now.

All I can do is show her that I'm here.

I'll show her that she'll never be alone.

A/N: Here's chapter ten! Let me know what you think in the comments - constructive criticism is appreciated! <3