Oblivious Bliss

Do you think Izzy and Chris are actually brother and sister? Vote. Comment. Thanks. 

The door opened out into a hallway that was both dark and narrow. It made Izzy feel like a child again standing at the top of her childhood home's stairs too afraid to venture down to the darkened lower level. But back than she had too because she had been thirsty, too thirty not too. Now she had to escape what was happening to her, she had to go down the dark hall that screamed danger.

The dim light from back inside the room was the only light shining into the hall. The light made her and Chris's shadows stretch along the wall, distorted and too big.

They began to move wordlessly. Her heart pounded loudly, too loudly. She was convinced it could be heard outside her body and was echoing down the hall. Chris grabbed her hand as if sensing her growing distress. She was thankful and squeezed his hand back, they were too far down the hall and she could no longer see him. His hand was slick with blood and sweat and she was sure hers was as well.

Suddenly the hall was flooded with light. It scared a scream out of Izzy. Her eyes stung at the sudden light, but she didn't dare close her eyes. A steal door at the end of the hall, the only exit, swung open and Mika appeared.

She looked disappointed. She looked displeased. The lack of anger frightened Izzy more for some reason. Chris tugged her behind him awkwardly in an attempt to protect her.

"I told you they were planning something." Lenny grinned as he appeared behind the woman.

The mad woman looked hurt. Hurt as if their actions had truly hurt her feelings. The woman's insanity was the most frustrating and angering thing ever to Izzy. It was just all over the place. It was scary.

Mika's look of betrayal faded and was replaced by a look as hard and cold as ice. "What in the hell do you two think you're doing?" she demanded.

Izzy was surprised when Chris began to back up, pulling her along with him. He looked like a cornered animal and in a way, she supposed they were. The wounds on Izzy's back stretched and she realized she didn't want that to happen again. She did not want to meet with the bite of that whip again. She didn't think she could handle it. She didn't think the life growing inside of her could survive it.

"I said! What in the hell are you two doing!" Mika roared.

"Nothing," Chris spat, "we...just wanted to go outside." He stumbled both over his words and in their retreat. "It was hot in the room...stuffy. We just wanted some fresh air."

Tears filled Izzy's eyes.

"Lying is a sin, Dexter Ryan Bartolo! I hate liars!" She hissed. Her murky brown eyes darted to Izzy. "Are you going to lie too, Ava? This was probably your idea anyway! Wasn't it!"

Izzy didn't speak, fear a rock in her throat. She realized the hand that was holding her was shaking. A tear slipped down her cheek. "He... isn't lying." She whispered. "We...just wanted some fresh air."

Mika's eyes closed briefly, and when she opened them an odd calmness had replaced her rage. The woman nodded with dead eyes. "Fine, if its outside you want, its outside you'll get." She turned to the man who had been watching everything unfold like it was some sort of demented soap opera. "Let's let the children spend a little time outside, husband."

(SM)

There was a large grassy yard behind the old house they were apparently being kept in. It was a place where the sun seemed to like to shine, especially at that time of day. In the center of the yard were two wooden posts planted into the ground.