Who You Were

Vote. Comment. Thanks.

Izzy softly hummed to the baby she had decided to name Aidyn – the tune was very much different from the one Mika used. She hummed a bit louder as she tried to block out Chris's screams filtering up through the vent. Her throat grew tight and she found she couldn't hum anymore as more tears filled her eyes. "Just five more, Chris." She whispered softly in encouragement as if he could hear her.

Chris had been acting up the last couple of days – since Aidyn had been born – and he had not being Mika's perfect 'good boy'. Izzy didn't know why, and she honestly doubted Chris even knew why he was talking back more often and slower to do his chores. Either way, he was punished.

Aidyn whimpered in her sleep, her tiny fists rubbing against her face. Izzy kissed the infant softly over her eyes, to sooth her and herself.

A few minutes later Chris stumbled past her open bedroom door, his white t-shirt back on despite the wounds she knew were on his back. Izzy quickly sprang to her feet and followed him down the hall and into his room. He flopped down on his bed face first – his whole body shook.

"Dex..."

He quickly sat up and looked at her and the baby with wide eyes. He clearly hadn't noticed her following him. "What are you doing in here?" He hissed worriedly, "I'm in reflection...we can't afford to get into any more trouble!"

Izzy hesitated at his tone. "I... Aidyn and I just wanted to make sure you were alright." She said softly. Chris's eyes dropped down to the sleeping bundle in her arms, his eyes softening.

His eyes darted back up to meet her, the soft look remaining. "I... I'm fine," he assured, "nothing new," was said a bit more bitterly. Though it didn't help her none, Izzy sort of missed the innocent Chris, the one who had been oblivious to it all. He seemed to read her expression and smiled to sweeten some of that bitterness. "I'm fine," he repeated.

"You're bleeding," she pointed out. She took a step towards him, but he held up his hand, stopping her.

"She's really mad at me right now, Ava." He told her. "I don't want her turning that anger on you guys."

"You're right," she said softly. Izzy knew that likely would happen if Mika caught her in his room when he was supposed to be reflecting, but she just wanted to make sure he was alright. She took a couple of steps back about to turn and leave the room. She had just given birth a couple of days ago and Mika had seemed pricklier since. The woman was currently punishing her by only inviting her to take part in only one of the meals they had in a day.

"Hey..." Chris called out. "Maybe we can play cards tomorrow after in done with this and my chores?" He smiled at her weakly.

Izzy returned the smile and nodded.

(SM)

Aidyn wouldn't stop crying and Izzy didn't know what to do. She had changed her and even tried to feed her even though she had just finished doing that. It was nearly two in the morning and both Lenny and Mika had yelled at her to express their anger at being woken at such an early hour.

Izzy was freaking out because one, she didn't know what to do. And two, she knew it wouldn't be long before Mika got fed up and made an appearance. She didn't know what the woman would do or try to do. The insane woman was clearly upset with Izzy and was just tolerating the baby.

She also felt bad because Chris had clearly been awakened out of his sleep as well. He stood in the doorway of the bedroom with his curly hair askew and his eyes wide with helplessness. He had wrapped bandages around his chest sometime since she had left his room and then, and that was all he wore besides a pair of loose pajama bottoms. A rule he was finding even more asinine was keeping him from stepping past the threshold of the room.