𝘰𝘯𝘦, Masquerade

"If I could give one piece of advice, it'd be to never
trust someone else with your life."

━━━━━━━━━━━━

The sound of the front door swinging open snaps Claire out of her daydream. She gets up cautiously, expecting an unknown vampire, and slowly leans over to check around the corner, only to see Jenna coming home from the hospital with Jeremy, Matt and Elena are helping her through the door.

"Easy," Matt's voice reaches her ears, "Grab the door, Jer."

"Hey, stop fussing," Jenna stresses, "I'm fine."

"The doctors said that you have to take it easy," Elena replied.

"Yeah, you don't want to rip your stitches, haemorrhage and die, alright?" Jeremy sarcastically asked.

"Yeah, the only thing I'm gonna die from is embarrassment," Jenna groaned.

"No," Matt disagreed.

"I walked into a knife," Jenna deadpans, "How does somebody do that?"

"You walked into a knife?" Claire makes her presence known, "How the hell did you do that?"

Since she spoke up without them knowing she was there, everyone jumped from shock and whipped their head around to see her.

"See what I mean?" Jenna says, after getting over the shock.

"It was a freak accident," Elena reassures.

"It happens," Jeremy added on.

"Yeah, I mean I've done it like twenty times at the Grill," Matt smiles.

"No," Claire disagreed with them, "It doesn't, like at all," before turning to Matt and saying, "When have you ever done that?"

"You're not helping, Claire," Elena replies. Jenna laughs at the teenagers but stops when she winces in pain.

"Okay, I'm being nice," Matt says.

"Careful," Jeremy speaks up while Matt says, "Easy, easy," as Claire watches the three help her, Jenna, onto the couch.

"What should I do with this?" Matt holds up with a bag of food from the grill

"I got it," Claire finally helps, she walks past Matt, taking the bag of food and walking into the kitchen. While Matt stays with Jenna, Elena and Jeremy follow their sister into the other room.

"So what are we gonna do?" Jeremy asks.

"Make lunch," Claire deadpans, wondering what else they would be doing at that moment in time.

"No, about Katherine," Jeremy says making Claire do a face of realisation with her mouth in the shape of an 'o'.

"We're not gonna do anything, Jeremy," Elena speaks up, not wanting Claire to interrupt with something stupid, like usual.

"She tried to kill Jenna," Jeremy tried to justify, "We can't let her get away with that."

"Yes, we can," Elena tries to explain her reasoning, "If it keeps us safe then we can."

"And what if she tries something else?" Jeremy asks.

"She won't. Katherine hurt Jenna because I didn't do what she said," Elena explains, "I'm not doing it now, me and Stefan are over. She wins, the end."

"How do you know that?" It was Claire's turn to question her methods, "How do you know she'll stop?"

"You are being naïve and you know it," Jeremy turns to leave.