Chapter 4

The next day, Betty did not have any power to get up. Or, she did not want to get up, rather. Her willingness in the mornings was suddenly gone. She did not know the reason why, but her smart brain says that she did not want to say what was the reason.

"Honey," her mom called as she opened the door, "get up, you will be late, come down and have breakfast."

"Mom," she groaned and looked at the middle aged woman who had a pink apron on, "can I not go to school today?"

"Why? Are you okay?" her mother says while furrowing her eyebrows and walked to the bed and sat down beside her lying daughter.

"No reason," Betty says and turned to the side.

"You're always enthusiastic at school," her mother commented and touched Betty's forehead, "are you not feeling well? Do you have a fever?"

This was the first time she saw her daughter like this. And as a mother, she'll be worried like every mother will.

"I just feel," Betty starts and sighs, "I feel down."

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" her dad asked, who had passed her door and saw that Betty was not looking okay.

"You can talk to us if you want to," her mother says, looking at her with that eyes that mothers will give whenever the child is not feeling very well.

Betty sighed deeply and closed her eyes. It was no use to go on like this. She doesn't want to admit the reason of her downess, so she hesitantly gets up.

"I'll go to school," she says, "I'll wash up now."

"Are you sure you're fine?" her dad asks, looking at her with pure concern.

"Yes, dad," she says, "I am."

Betty was not cheerfull when she went to school. Her back was slouched and her head was bowed.

"What's wrong?" Inez asks beside her during History, their first class.

"Nothing," Betty says with a shake of her head.

"You sure?"

"Yes," she says with a forced smile. When Homeroom came, she did not want to attend the class, because she'll feel more down and more desperate.

Is this what you called mixed feelings? Betty furrowed her eyebrows. How could this be mixed feelings when you don't know what you feel? Is this the type of confusion you get whenever you don't want to admit that you have a childish crush at a guy you just met almost two weeks ago?

Before Homeroom starts, she excused herself at the professor earlier, saying that she needs a leave because she was not feeling well and needs to go to the doctor's office.

The professor, an old man who has an admiration for her brains, nodded and agreed, saying that she needs a rest. Education and rest should be balanced.

She smiled and thanked him before walking out of his office. She was irrationally happy for what happened, because she can get away with that guy.

She did not went to the doctor's office though. She went at the park and sat by the swing. Her deep thoughts was swarming in her head.

She can't have a crush. No. She should not. She knows the fact that it's a little bit irrational to have a crush on someome whom she only met two weeks ago.

Girl, there's even love at first sight. Is it not more irrational than what you experience now?

Betty sighed deeply and tried to smash the cobblestones near her. She still did not know why there were many cobblestones in their area. They have it since she was a child.