Chapter 5

"What's with you today?" Inez asked, eyeing Betty skeptically. Her friend was not in school yesterday, did she get kidnap and got swapped by someone else.

Betty, smiling while looking at the expensive pen twirling in her hand, did not seem to hear her friend.

"Hey," Inez said in an annoyed tone and snapped two fingers at her face.

"What?" Betty asks with furrowed eyebrows.

"What's with you today?" her friend asks, "you seem a little bit off."

"Oh, I made some food yesterday," she said, and prays that Inez won't see her lies.

"What did you made?" Inez asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Chocolate pudding," Betty replies with a smile. "You know how I love chocolate pudding."

"You'll get fat," Inez remarks with a smirk.

"That's okay, my life is for a good time, not a good figure."

Betty internally sighs in relief. It's true that she made chocolate pudding last night, but that's not the reason why she's so off today.

Betty gracefully went through all of the classes without being distracted, she managed to understand the lessons well like she used to everyday since the past.

When Homeroom came, she giddily went to the class. She was a little bit early, so not many people are in the classroom.

But she spotted the vintage shirt, the owner's head bent down on the desk and his arms circling it. He seems to be sleeping.

Betty quietly sat beside him. She unexpectedly studied his face.

He's fair skinned, and he has this chiseled jaw, the perfect cherry lips, and the brown hair that falls to his eyes.

It's true that beauty has no standards, this boy isn't perfect at looks, but he looks perfect for Betty.

The bell rang, signaling that the class will start soon. She gently shakes James to wake him up.

"James," she gently shakes him, "class is about to start, wake up."

"What?" James suddenly wakes up, and sits properly. He smiles at Betty. "When did you get here?"

"Just now," she says, "stay awake."

"We need to start doing the theater box later."

"We can go to my place to start it," Betty offers.

James shakes his head. "The materials are at my house, so we could go there. It's too bothersome to move it to your house."

"You already bought the things we need?" she asks, eyes wide. She didn't even contribute some money, she feels ashamed.

"Yes," he says with a nod, "I bought it yesterday after school."

"Let me pay you later," she offers.

"It's no big deal, it's just a little amount," he waves off.

It was a little silent between them after. The teacher hasn't come yet, so they just sat there, not talking.

Betty felt something heavy hit her shoulder, when she looked at it, she hears the soft snoring of James.

His hair is tickling her neck, and Betty could not believe it. Her palms started to sweat and her cheeks started to burn. She tries to calm down, but her head started to create some thoughts she should not.

Betty, keep yourself calm. Please. Just push his head and say wake up, it's that simple.

But Betty didn't do it. She just sat there, not moving. She's more afraid that she'll wake him up rather than the rumors that will rise later.

She only came to her senses when the teacher came. She shoved him to the side, not caring whether he will fall or not.

James fell from his chair, and exclaimed, "what was that for?!"

"Ehem," the old professor said, looking at him deeply, "I bet we should start our class, Mr. James."

"Oh, I didn't see you there professor," he says as he stands up and sits on his chair.

He looked at Betty, and she was staring at the board, her face contains a hard expression.

James took his eyes off her. She won't stay that way, because they need to cooperate later to finish the theater box later.

"What?!" Inez exclaimed during lunch. "He leaned on your shoulder?!"

"Ssh," Betty said harshly and looked around her, a few eyes turning at their way. "Tone down a bit! I'll kill you if anyone knows!"

"Betty," Inez says as she sits down, "you two are really something. You just met a month ago but you already are progressing to such things."

"Pointing fingers now, are we?" Betty asks, arching a brow, "who dated a senior when she was a sophomore even though they met three weeks ago?"

Inez waves it off. "That's the past, don't bring it back," she says, remembering the time that she was so whipped at a handsome senior. "The attention's on you now."

"I bet there will be rumors again later," she says, pushing her food, having no appetite at all.

"It feels like you haven't been in High School," her friend remarks, "rumors always goes away, just wait for it."

Betty just nodded, not saying anything against the truth, because it is the truth. Rumors definitely goes away, but why in the hell do they need to look at her face everytime she's passing by or they're passing by? Can't they just talk in private about her?

"I heard you'll do the theater box later," Inez suddenly states, while eating her food, "if you wish to not heighten the rumors, better leave the school separately and meet up after that."

"The rumors are there now anyways," Betty says, "it's a waste of time if we'll have to meet."

"But, which house would you go?"

"His," she corrects, taking a sip of water, "the materials are there anyways, he says it's a waste of time to move it to my place."

"Girl I suddenly think that he likes you," Inez replies, looking at her with wide eyes.

"No Inez," she presses down hard, "he doesn't have, and never will he."

"You are so pessimistic," Inez replies, "maybe he will, why so down about it?"

"I don't wanna fall in love during my high school days," Betty says with a long sigh, "I want to fall in love when I already traveled the world."

"You know Betty, love is something you can't get away from, it's inevitable. And it's such a big pity if it is knocking at your door and you will ignore it."

Betty kept silent. She didn't know how to reply, more like, she didn't want to. This is a crucial matter for her, because this is the first time in her life that she actually likes someone with the opposite sex.

The rest of the day became very, very dull. Betty did not write down any notes, she already knows the topic, and her mind kept on thinking about things.

This is just a normal, high school crush. What's the worst that could happen?

When the bell rings after her last class, she tidies up her things slowly. Inez said she needs to go home early, because her little sister does not have anyone to look after her. Betty simply nodded, smiled, and said goodbye.

Her phone rang. It was an unknown caller. Thinking it was someone that needs help, she answers.

"I am at the parking lot," James's voice sounded through the phone.

"I'm already finished, if you can't wait, send me your house address and I'll just walk my way there," she offers without a single breath.

"I'll wait for you at the gate," James pressed and ended the call.

Betty looked at her phone incredulously, maybe she should throw it away.

But Betty isn't an irrational person, so sucked her breath, gathered the last of her things, and mightily marches to the school gate where an old Chevrolet was parked.