One: The Letter

It was a cool Arizona night, but there was something different about this night. Maybe it was the cold breeze blowing past my long, exposed legs. It made me start to think that my soft pink, lacy, summer dress was not the right attire for this time of year.

It's only September. I thought to myself.

I was on a small walk headed to my mailbox. The mailbox was at the end of my driveway, which was probably about a half mile in length. At the end of the driveway was a Santa Fe looking house. Standing two stories tall and painted dirt orange. Turning to take one last look at the house before I continue my walk down the driveway.

I made this journey almost everyday. The only day I don't check the mail is Sunday's: or I at least used to do this. I left home last year for school and now I'm home for summer. I go to the Arizona State University or ASU for law. My dad wasn't very happy with the school choice nor the occupation choice. He wanted me to follow in his footsteps and become a surgeon. He also wanted me to attend the University of Arizona. He still has to bring it up every time he sees me.

I finally got to the mailbox. Stopping to admire the small house shaped mailbox. My mom made this before she died. It was put up the day she died and probably will stay there forever. Finally snapping out of my thoughts, I reached for the mailbox opening it up. Snatching the contents of the box then scurried back up the driveway.

Starting to shuffle through the mail, "Ad, ad, bill, ad, bill, bill, and what is this?" Saying to myself.

It's addressed to me from a law firm. It was definitely too early to be getting intern positions. I mean I've only been in school for a year. I can't imagine a law firm wanting a first year student. Finally looking up from the letter to look at the house. I was about thirty yards from the house. I start my walk back to the up there, when my dad walked out the front door.

"Presley you said you were only going to check the mail not be gone for eighty years," my dad laughs from the doorway.

I smiled to myself as I watched him walk through the doorway again. This man has gained fifty pounds all in his belly making him look like he was nine months pregnant. His once brown hair, now almost completely grey. My dad has aged ten years in one. I finally finished my walk to the house.

Opening the door, the smell almost slaps me across the face. It smelt so good. It was dad's famous chili. I followed the smell almost in a trance to the kitchen. I could feel myself drooling by the time I got to the kitchen.

"Hey honey I made my chili for dinner. I know it's your favorite," he said setting me up with a bowl.

"What's the special occasion?" I asked him sitting down at the table.

He follows suit with our bowls setting them down. One bowl in front of me and one in front of him. Then he proceeds to sit down. I wait patiently for him to answer my question. But he grabbed his spoon and started to eat his food. Setting the mail that I was still holding, on the table. I take my spoon taking a bite. Before I could finish my bite, my dad had the mail. He just stayed staring at the letter on top. The letter that was for me.

"Hey dad, you okay?" I questioned getting his attention.

"Yeah, just a bad day at work. Why?" he said with his eyes never leaving the letter.

"I asked what the special occasion was and you didn't answer. Then you just keep staring at that letter," I said before taking another bite.

I watched him put down the pile of letters, but still focused on the one on top. "One of my patients needed thoracic aortic dissection repair and they didn't make it." He tore his eyes from the letter and started to eat again. "Hey it looks you got something in the mail," he said changing the subject.