014

"come back again!"

amber kindly said to her last customer of the day before taking a long, heavy sigh that was trapped inside her since the start of her shift. she watched the customer disappear from her eyes then stretched out her arms, trying to relieve the tension that piled up from a long day of work.

the cafe she worked at was constantly busy with customers coming from time to time, leaving amber with only small amounts of breaks in between. she was a cashier so her main priority was to keep that angelic smile of hers from beginning to end to please the customers, even if they were being a pain in the ass.

after a mini yoga session, amber pulled her phone out from her back pocket and quickly pressed the home button. her shoulders were high and her tired eyes were wide open in excitement, expecting there to be what she had longed for since a few days ago.

which was a text from taehyung. after he abruptly left, she didn't feel the same anymore. she befriended her idol and talked to him like he was the best friend she'd been looking for her whole life however, now he wasn't there to make her smile.

but unfortunately, she didn't receive anything.

"still no text."

she whispered to herself in disappointment after seeing an empty notification board. her hopeful shoulders dropped and her mood saddened. this made her think if it was all just a game.

"still no text from who?"

amber hesitantly looked back after hearing that familiar voice she wished she didn't hear, that familiar voice she couldn't get away from and that familiar voice she somehow disliked.

"o-oh. hey, hanna."

amber gave her a small smile.

"seems like you're waiting for someone to text you back, hm?"

amber watched hanna's small figure as she took off her apron and delicately hung it on the peg, her red, silky hair flowing with her as she took every step. yes, she was definitely pretty... but her persona wasn't in her eyes.

but she still interacted with her and forced herself to like her.

"yeah, you could say that."

"who is it? a lover you haven't told me about?" hanna faced amber and raised her eyebrow in a conceited way. amber rolled her eyes as she looked down at her feet.

"no it's nothing like that." she laughed.

"then what? imaginary taehyung?"

silence dropped between the two instantly after hanna's response. confused, amber didn't know whether to joke with her, get defensive or completely ignore it. she stood frozen on the spot, hands playing around with the hem of her top in deep thought.

but with conversation being one of amber's weakest points, she had no choice but to completely go hanna's way and let hanna treat her like a pet.

"yep. imaginary taehyung... but it's really nothing to talk about-"

"oh don't tell me you still think he's legit." hanna scoffed with a cheeky smirk plastered on her perfectly sculptured face. "use your common sense and spot the red flags! what celebrity has time to text a fan?"

amber scratched the back of her curly, brunette hair and nervously chuckled. she hated how she can be an easy target for anyone. "i know right, it'll be a waste of time."

"a big waste of time." hanna shook her head. "he's probably shooting for his new drama or working on his new album, amber." she added on with the face. the face amber hated the most.

the pitiful, smug face she pulled whenever she succeeded on making others feel bad about themselves. she was thinking if it was even the right idea to have told her about taehyung.

all amber could do was naively agree and hold in her opinions. she's too worried to be herself around others and express her true feelings... but that was what taehyung accepted from her.

"y-you seem to know a lot about him." she weakly smiled after noticing hanna had mentioned what her and taehyung spoke about before in their conversation.

hanna seemed flustered with what she had said and instantly shook her head in rejection, disagreeing with her.

"no.. no. i just see a lot of a-articles about him. that's it really." her hands waved from side to side, signalling a no and her head shook vigorously in denial.

amber nodded slowly in suspicion, but let it roll to the back of her mind.

"h-hey!" hanna abruptly exclaimed. "let me see your text messages between you and him. i bet i can figure out the second i see them."

without permission, amber's phone was snatched from her poor hands in a blink of an eye. she stood there, breath hitched and empty handed as she watched her phone being used by hanna.

she didn't dare stop her.

by what amber could see, hanna seemed very engaged in what she was looking at. her eyes full of curiosity and her nicely shaped eyebrows furrowed whilst her eyes dug holes into the phone.

she looked like a spy to amber. a person who can easily get hold of your information and track your every step, no matter the situation. it was as if she was solving a case and it was an everyday thing for her.

amber stood still with her innocent self still picking on the hem of her top and her doe eyes staring at hanna.

unexpectedly, hanna quickly handed her phone back to amber with a eerie expression on her face making amber to get startled.

"u-um, i'm pretty sure it's a troll. just don't reply to them if they text you. it's not them."

amber furrowed her eyebrows, confused as to why hanna's body language was unusual and not like her at all. she thought she might have clicked on something she wasn't supposed to see.

"is everything alri-"

"it's late. i have to go."

and with that, she left amber in a flood of thoughts.

this chapter was longer than i expected it to be...
good luck to any of you guys who are starting to school soon or who have already started school. i hope you do great and don't stress yourself too much :)