*Teleports*

Silence muffled all discussion in the cart, stifling any attempt at words. Disi made a small, discontented squeak, and Emile stroked his soft horns. 

"W...what's a ghost town?" asked Janus, feeling quite unsettled. "Is it bad? Should we stay away?" He shivered, looking at the spot where the village had just been. Could an entire town just disappear like that?

He blinked, and it reappeared. "What?" he whispered. 

Remus let out an excited laugh and jumped over the edge of the cart, Roman not far behind him. "Time to wrangle some ghosts!" he exclaimed happily. "Doesn't that sound fun? I can use this iron sword-thing I made out of spare parts the other day!" 

He held out a beaten, molded iron dagger with a leather handle, the blade wickedly sharp and toothlike, the metal so dark it was almost black. Small red stones glittered on the handle, making Janus think of the eyes of the giant spider that had scuttled across the clearing where he lived-- used to live, he reminded himself. 

"That's oddly... comforting," Emile murmured from where he sat. "But do we really have to go into the place with lots of ghosts? Can't we just... stay here?" He scooted a little farther away from where the town was, and squeezed his eyes shut as if he wanted it all to disappear. 

"Agreed," Logan spoke up. "Ghost towns are dangerous, and though treasure may be found--"

Roman gasped. 

"Although treasure may be found," Logan continued, his lips pursed, "you may die in the process before you even catch a glimpse of a silver goblet. So let's go, and continue to the village so we can hide until the kingdom fights off Fiere."

Suddenly, Roman made a small shriek and pointed a shaking hand at... something. Janus squinted and saw a small, pale figure wreathed in smoke approaching. "W-w-who's that?!" he shouted, and Remus jumped in front of him, holding the dagger threateningly. 

Emile screamed as the figure pounced, digging sharp nails into Remus's arm, but the other just gritted his teeth and slashed right through the thing. It disappeared into a burst of smoky mist, and a wail like nails on a chalkboard echoed through the clearing. 

Logan looked around briskly. "That is exactly what I'm talking about," he muttered. "Figures like--"

But before he could finish, a large, ghostly dog came lunging toward them, howling. Wreaths of mist wrapped around its transparent, pale paws. It was at least the size of the cart, and its eyes glowed with a strange, dark, black light, matching the dripping-black wounds along its side. 

It howled again, the sound loud enough to send shivers down Janus's spine. 

I'm going to die, he thought with absolute certainty as the dog shook out its mane and growled, deep and low. 

Remus tried to slash it with the dagger, but it pinned him down with one massive paw. He struggled for a while, yelping as the spectral hound lowered its sharp fangs, yipping with pride. 

Roman lunged for the dog, carving a great wound up its ankle with a broken axel wheel lying nearby, and with an almost humanlike scream the dog released its hold. 

"That's what you--" Roman yelled, before the dog slashed his arm, and with a cry of agony he fell against the cart. Emile threw a milk jog at it, but it went straight through the animal.

It didn't even notice, Janus thought desperately. We're all going to be killed.

I just got out of my tower!

 Remus drove the dagger into its side, but it just shook him away with a snarl of pain. Janus screamed as Remus landed with a thud against the side of the cart, limp.