Market Squares And Gold Coins

Janus had a bag of coins in his inner cloak pocket. 

Back at the tower, he had never had a chance to spend them, but they kept appearing-- between the chair cushions, occasionally left on the floor, sometimes he would even find one in the basket of food left for him. So he started making a collection of coins, because what else was he to do with them? Spend them? 

Some were stamped with the image of a peacock and smooth gold, though those were the rarest. Others were made of silver and cerium, decorated with a mage's chestnut tree. The rest, the most common, were a mixture of bronze, copper, and iron, a bundle of flowers pressed into the brown metal. 

He had eventually found a dark wine-red pouch in one of the chests and decided to use that to keep his wares. Now, it was tucked in the folds of his cloak, the coins clinking slightly against each other as he moved, mesmerized, through the stands and shops. 

It was even more beautiful in the whirlwind of chatter and fairy lights. People talked all around him, smells filled the air (cinnamon, whiskey, leather, so many more), and the sound of laughter swirled around the marketplace. 

Remus was right by his side, looking around with rapt attention at all the different stands. His attention tended to get caught at the more mechanical wares-- he had been captivated at the very sight of a metal flower, picking it up in his hands and examining it until the stallkeeper had told him to put it down. Janus, on the other hand, liked the displays of odd trinkets. 

Right then, he was examining a bronze dagger, the hilt intricately carved. The sheath was leather, decorated with beautiful stitchings of lilies and other flora, while the blade was jaggedly made. It looked like it had been made that way on purpose, the sharp edge somehow even more enticing with its air of jagged danger. He picked it up, passing it between each of his hands, enjoying the heft of the bronze object. 

The stallkeeper, a pale-skinned woman with lidded, dark purple eyes, licked her lips as she watched Janus examine the dagger. It was clear to everyone that he was nobility from his dark skin and naturally curly hair, his bangs draping over his eyes. Because of his olive-colored skin (nobles had unusually dark skin, a trademark that most were quite proud of) he had been targeted by several people 'interested' in what he thought of their wares. 

As well as the fact that he had a dragon on his shoulder. That made it pretty obvious that he was rich. 

"Do you like it?" the stallkeeper asked, her fingers drumming on the counter. Her eyes, a syrupy, dark lavender, watched Janus's every move with precision. 

Janus swallowed, moving a little closer to Remus for comfort. The milkman seemed to sense his nervousness and took Janus's free hand, tangling their fingers together and giving his hand a short squeeze. "I do like it," Janus replied, trying his best to hide his upper-class accent. 

The stallkeeper nodded, apparently pleased. "I don't get too many people interested in my wares, so it's good to see you here, sugar." She grinned as she spoke. Her voice wasn't as creepy as her eyes had been, but Janus still flinched a little at the pet name. 

Disi curled protectively around Janus, baring his fangs at the storekeeper. She looked a little put-off but not yet scared, bristling slightly as Disi hissed. Janus put one hand on Disi's wing to stop him from growling again, and Disi nuzzled into his palm. 

"Do you want to buy it or get out of here?" Remus asked, leaning closer to Janus to whisper in the prince's ear. 

"I can choose both, can't I?" he whispered back, reaching for his pouch of coins. He placed a silver coin and two coppers on the table, smiling at the woman. Disi growled low in his throat, but Janus tried his best to ignore it, at least trying to be polite. "Thank you for your business."