Discovery

Chapter warnings: Mild language

Word count: 1186

-----

'Discovery, in the law of common law jurisdictions, is a pre-trial procedure in a lawsuit in which each party, through the law of civil procedure, can obtain evidence from the other party or parties by means of discovery devices such as interrogatories, requests for production of documents, requests for admissions, and depositions. Discovery can be obtained from non-parties using subpoenas. When a discovery request is objected to, the requesting party may seek the assistance of the court by filing a motion to compel discovery.'

This wasn't going to be like the court cases on TV. Y/N's remote lawyer had warned her of that. In the past, prosecutors could guard evidence from defendants. Defendants couldn't force prosecutors to hand over witness statements or even reveal the names of their witnesses. Now the view that advance disclosure will promote fairer trials had taken hold—if defense attorneys know ahead of time what to expect, they can better defend their clients.

Surprise evidence may produce fine drama, but it leads to poor justice. Unlike prosecutors, defendants can't call on police agencies to help them investigate and respond to evidence they find out about for the first time at trial. Thus, every jurisdiction has discovery rules requiring prosecutors to disclose evidence to defendants prior to trial.

Thankfully, this worked to Y/N's advantage. Her job was not exclusively to gather evidence, but rather to defend against the charges placed against WayV. She'd find out what those were today. She foresaw no problem in retrieving evidence from the other lawyer, as they were likely confident in their case. They had the police on their side, but that was okay. They could make it. Plus, if the other lawyer failed to provide proper evidence during discovery, they could be fined or even get the case invalidated.

Checking in, she put her own name as that of the lawyer. Obviously the person checking her in had no idea how strange it was, as they just continued on with their paperwork. She had written "self-employed" under firm, which would just have to do. She was directed to the proper meeting room, being the first to arrive. Placing in her bluetooth earbud, she thought of an ample way to cover it, warning her new associate not to say anything unless absolutely necessary so that she might be able to focus. It was only a few minutes before a few more people walked in.

The first was a tall woman in a blue suit, sitting at the head of the table. She greeted Y/N quite stoically, but not in a rude fashion. She began organizing her own papers as a third woman walked in, in a black skirt and jacket. Shesat down across from Y/N, looking her over for a moment before greeting the both of them. The taller woman started speaking.

"Alright. This is obviously the method of depositions and interrogatories. The defendant and prosecution will discuss the evidence against leveraged against these 7 men, shorthand 'WayV'. You may refer to the group as such, but if leveraging evidence against the specific, we ask that you state their name, birth-given or stage. I assume we're all working under these presumptions." At least she'd have the advantage with the names, however irrelevant it may be.

"The prosecution may start with any evidence put forward against the defense. The defense is not required to offer any rebuttals at this time, but if additional information is necessary, you may request it now. If the prosecution denies, you can drop the motion, or put in a request through the court. Is everyone understood?" The two women nodded, the prosecutor evidently ready to begin. The glint in her eyes unsettled Y/N. Lawyers were so awful...

"Miss... Y/N? Was it? I admire your bravery in acting as a lawyer with no education or experience!" The jab caused her teeth to clench in anger. Why was everyone acting as though she was completely unqualified?

"Don't let her grind your gears, kid," the voice in her headphone muttered. "Just stick to the plan." She took a deep breath, forcing herself to focus. Everything about the woman was grating- her stature, her voice, her glare, the pity and smug victory painted on her face. Still, Y/N listened to her associate.

"Anyway," the prosecution continued. "We plan on putting forth three core arguments, although each has several types of witnesses and supporting points." Witnesses? How could they possibly have witnesses? Unless...one of the girls escaped? She said nothing as the lady continued.

"Our first block is based on the police witnesses and personal experience in the assault of Y/N L/N by Wong Kun-Hang, stage name Hendery." Okay, that wasn't fantastic, but she could defend against that. They had a solid backstory. Her real lawyer knew this as well, letting it go.

"Understood. Do you plan to call my testimony?"

"Not initially. We're considering it depending on the other testimonies and your rebuttals. We have no requirement to give you a straight answer."

"Uh huh..." She said, slightly concerned with that last statement. Still, she indicated that she could go on.

"Our second block is based on physical evidence retrieved from your household at an earlier date."

"May I ask what specific pieces of evidence?"

"I will mention that there are several articles of clothing and possessions, clearly of females. We're planning on having them analyzed for DNA or residue." That could be bad. She wasn't sure exactly what the woman had found, but she had to come up with an explanation if it came back with DNA other than hers.

"What's your final sector?"

"Our last block is made up of several character and lay witnesses in regards to the suspected kidnappings."

"Ask if they're suspected victims." The man in her headset said quickly.

"Are they suspected to be victims?" She asked, parroting his comment.

"I have no comment on such."

"They have to be." The man grumbled. "At least the character witnesses. I'm not sure how we plan on handling that." Y/N and the woman worked out a few more points. Every time the woman asked about her rebuttals, the remote lawyer indicated for her to abstain. It was tedious, and the monitor said nothing until the very end.

"If you're in need of any more information, you may submit a request up to 24 hours before the court date." Handing them both sheets of paper, gesturing to a written portion. "This is the date. Miss Y/N, you are permitted to make contact with the defendants under the pretense of going over the case. If you are suspected of conspiracy, you could be tried for it as well." They went over a few more rights and procedures before they all stood from the table, Y/N standing a bit late.

"I wish you the best in your cases." She stated cooly, giving them room to file out. She needed to talk to the layer, and then she needed to talk to WayV. This was going to be tough.