[11] 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒇𝒇𝒆𝒓

Status : Unedited

❦︎

Jupiter finishing icing a tray of eclairs and stepped back to admire her handiwork. Of all the Rainbow Palace products, her mother's eclairs were still the bakery's stop sellers - not that that was saying much these days.

But at least they were the one pastry Jupiter still held to Valarie's standards with fresh vanilla cream, pate a choux pastry made with real butter, and dark chocolate ganache. Every time she made the eclairs, she knew she was being true to her mother's legacy.

She started setting them into fluted cups when the wind chimes over the door jingled. Jupiter glanced at the mirror behind the counter, her heart crashing against her ribs as the glass reflected a tall, dark-haired man.

"Hello, Jupiter."

Josh King's deep voice flowed right into her blood, eliciting a rush of happy warmth that intensified when she turned to face him. He looked striking and incredibly masculine in a tailored suit and tie, his dark hair brushed back from his strong features, but Jupiter's mind filled with a memory of him wearing only his grey sweatpants, his gorgeous chest bare for both her visual and tactile pleasure.

But at the moment, he was all powerful CEO. As he approached the counter, Jupiter's whole body tingled with an awareness that was both sweet and spicy, like chocolate truffles spiked with cayenne pepper.

"What can I get for you, Mr. King?" she asked primly, hoping he would respond by leaning across the counter, planting a nice, hot kiss against her lips ,growling, "This"

"You van is outside," he said instead, handing her the keys and the macramé supply bag she'd left at his house. "New starter, fan belt and fluid check. Bill is on me."

He held his hand up when she opened her mouth to protest.

"I'm paying," he said. "Don't argue."

Despite his imperious, no-nonsense tone of voice, gratitude welled up inside Jupiter with unexpected force. She needed the van and she didn't have the money for repairs. So the fact that Josh was insisting on taking care of it...

It was the first time in a long time a man had taken care of something for her. Or just taken care of her.

"Thank you." She stowed her bad and keys underneath the counter. "That's generous of you, and I'm very grateful."

Josh gave her a short nod and folded his arm across his chest. He looked cross. Jupiter hoped his attitude didn't have anything to do with their sexy encounter two nights ago.

"I have to go now," he said, like it was somehow her fault.

"Okay. Would you like a pastry to take with you?"

He glanced at the displays. "Which is your favourite?"

"Oh, the eclairs, definitely." She took a fresh one off the tray and put it on a plate for him. "I've had to...um, revamp some of the recipes, but this one has always stayed the same. I still use Valrhona's cocoa powder, Madagascar vanilla and the best quality organic milk and farm-fresh eggs. I also make some with liqueurs or chocolate cream."

"Looks delicious." He reached into his pocket for his wallet.

"It's on the house," Jupiter said.

Josh gave a frown of mild disapproval and out a ten-dollar bill on the counter. "Only give food away if it's a sample or donation."

He picked up the glossy éclair to take a bite, his eyebrows lifting slightly. A drop of cream clung to his lower lip, and the urge to reach up and lick it off seized Jupiter.