[21] 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒄𝒌𝒆𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒄𝒉

Status : Unedited

❦︎

The posters of Paris that lines Jupiter's apartment walls, the French novels on her bookshelves, and especially her copy of The Art of French Pastry all took on a sudden heightened significance. She had until the end of the month to either accept or reject the course offer, and it wasn't an opportunity that would come around again. She also would never forgive herself for abandoning the bakery after all the work she - and Josh - had done to make it solvent again.

For the next few days, a combination of exhilaration and anxiety sizzled through her. She tried to focus on the bakery and her classes, and spent evenings writing up lists of things she would need to do if she went to Paris. Everything about the possibility was both exciting and scary at the same time.

On the one hand, she would have a life-changing experience. On the other, she couldn't shake the sense of insecurity that she might never measure up. Yes, she'd invented the Declair, but that had been a mistake. What if she wasn't able to create another pastry like that again? What if she couldn't display the kind of innovation and creativity that chefs of Pierre Lacroix's calibre would demand?

Then there was the overwhelming matter of Josh King. What would her moving to Paris for nine months or longer mean for them? Three weeks apart was one thing, but this was close to a year.

Isabelle was still the only one who knew about the acceptance letter, though her sister seemed to think the decision was a no-brainer. But considering Isabelle had made a job out of traveling, Jupiter wasn't surprised. Just as she wasn't surprised by her own practical, methodical approach.

As she wrestled with what to do and how to do it, Pendergrass and Peabody Designs took on the Boho chic remodelling of the Rainbow Place with gusto.

Eleanor came by every day for a week with colour samples, light fixtures, and various types of drawer handles and doorknobs for Jupiter to choose from. When Jupiter mentioned she liked this one, Eleanor would sigh, shake her head, and assure her that one was a much better choice.

Jupiter was always relieved when Isabelle happened to be around, since it was easier to run the decision-making over to her sister. Isabelle seemed to have knack for knowing the difference between "light cream" and "beige," and which one would work better with the rest of the décor.

Per Eleanor's instructions, Jupiter took down all the decorations and prints in preparation for painting. She spent one morning clearing out the rainbow streamers and mandala tapestries from the front windows to make room for a lighted, garden-themed display.

The following Saturday night, she and Josh were scheduled to attend the Fine Arts Museum exhibition opening and fundraiser dinner. Though they talked often, she hadn't seen much of him this week - they texted and exchanged emails about the business, but he was immersed in work and the new Candy King project in Switzerland.

With all his experience, he would be able to give her excellent advise and insights into the Paris opportunity, so Jupiter wanted to talk to him at a time when they could be alone and focused.

As the weekend drew closer, she became increasingly nervous about the museum event. It was the first time she would be in Josh's arena, and she had no idea what to expect or what would be expected of her, despite Freya's assurance that all she had to do was 'be yourself, but God in heaven, please don't do any shot.'

Well, as long she was with Josh, it would be fine. Probably all she'd have to do was smile and make small talk and hope no one asked her about mergers or stock options.