What Now?

"So let me get this straight... You actually went on a successful date?"

"Yes! But that's besides the point! What should I do now? He thinks I'm Alfred! If I tell him the truth, will he get mad? C'mon Chelle, help me out here!"

"Matthew Kirkland-Bonnefoy actually went out on a successful date? No stutters, no awkwardness, no accidents, like a real date?"

"Michelle! Yes, it was a really nice date! I get it! Why are you focusing so much on that and not the actual crisis I am faced with right now?"

Michelle chuckled from the opposing end of the phone. "Well mon frère, I'd hate to admit it, but you've never exactly been an expert at l'amour..."

"What's that supposed to mean!?"

"Exactly what I said. Like... Remember when you were ten and you gifted our babysitter that cheesecake on Valentines Day?"

"Yeah, and what about it?"

"He was lactose intolerant! He was hospitalized for weeks after! And not to mention he was twenty-one at the time and childhood friends with our father!"

"Oh c'mon, I was only ten!"

"Oh yeah? How about when you were fifteen and liked that tall guy from Holland?"

"Oh no..."

"And then one day you caught him smoking weed in the back of the school, so you decided to buy some imported blunts for him and Alfred had to save you from that Mexican Cartel that planned on taking you over to Honduras as a sex slave?"

"Don't remind me..."

"And when you did give them to him, your math teacher caught you and sent you both to jail!"

"His sister was able to bail both of us out and we were fine. Now we meet at the back of that 7/11 every Saturday evening."

"Really? Well how about that time in your senior year where you were convinced you were 'no longer gay' and asked out that Ukrainian chick?"

"No, please stop-"

"So when you guys kissed- on the first date, mind you - you vomited all over her boo-"

"STOP! Stop! I get it, I get it! I'm a loser!"

"Yeah, but it seems like with this Kiku guy, you're not. How come?"

"I think it's just to spite Alfred. Honest."

"But I thought you really liked this guy?"

"I do, I do! He's polite, soft-spoken, not to mention drop-dead gorgeous and-"

"A-ha! So it's not only to spite Alfred! You really like this guy! Maybe it's true love!" Michelle gasped, "Maybe you're soulmates!"

"Michelle, soulmates aren't actually real. And even if they were, I doubt soulmates would lie to each other..."

"Oh Mattie! Soulmates aren't real? You're lucky Papa's not listening, or else you'd break his heart!"

"Michelle, can we please switch topics? I have a bigger issue right now. What if I tell him the truth and he doesn't wanna hang out with me anymore? What if he'd rather hang out with the real Alfred he met online?"

"Well Mattie, if you really want my opinion... I'd say keep up the charade until you feel like you both have a close enough bond? By then he probably won't care about the name thing. It's just a name after-all. You said you're not lying about anything else, right?"

"Yeah. Thanks for your help, Chelle! So now that I'm situated, why'd you call me earlier?"

"Oh! I just wanted to tell you that I made it onto the county volleyball team!"

"Wow, that's great Chelle! I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks Mattie! I'm the only freshman on the team, y'know? Well, I have school tomorrow and if I'm not in bed by ten, Dad might rip my face off. Goodnight! Je t'aime!"

"Je t'aime aussi, Chelle. Goodnight!"

The two siblings hung up and Matthew decided it might be time for him to go to bed as well. Michelle's only seven years younger than him and when he was her age, his bedtime was at eight! Now that he thinks about it... Maybe he shouldn't have been getting relationship advice from a fifteen year-old... But in all honesty, Michelle's the only one who knows how to keep her mouth shut. If he told anyone else, Alfred would probably find out in a heartbeat.

As Matthew finished slipping on his night shirt, he felt a buzz from his phone. He looked down at the mysterious number on his screen and smiled.

It was a text from Kiku.

'Hello Alfred, this is Kiku.' The message read.

Matthew grabbed his phone off its charger and plopped down on his bed. 'Hey Kiku! How are you doing?' He responded.

'Very well actually. Would you like to call? If it's not too much trouble.'

'No, not at all, I'd love to. Give me two seconds.'

Matthew cleared his throat and brushed his hair out of his face. If was only a voice call, after all. He shouldn't be stressing so much.

The phone barely even had time to ring before Kiku picked it up.

"Hello Alfred. I'm sorry I texted so late, I was just a bit preoccupied with work after our date."

"Oh no, Kiku, it's fine. You can call me whenever. I don't have a problem with it." Matthew smiled.

"O-Oh, well, thank you. I called wondering if we could set up a second date? I'm free any day you are."

"A second date would be great, Kiku. I don't have work next Sunday, so how about then?"

"Sounds good."

"See you then, I guess."

"Yeah... See you then..."