On Sunday

Kiku and Matthew have been talking and texting almost everyday prior to their second date. The two have found out a lot more about each other now. Matthew knows that Kiku can prepare pufferfish perfectly and knows how to break into a locked car without breaking anything (that's a fun one). And now Kiku knows that Matthew can telepathically communicate with moose and is fluent in French.

That little fact is Kiku's favorite.

"Can you please say something to me in French?" Kiku begged as Matthew drove down the highway to the destination of their date.

"Then say something to me in Japanese."

"Alright fine... Sashimi. Now you go."

"Baguette."

Kiku rolled his eyes and gave the smirking blond a pissed-off expression. "Really?"

"That's essentially what you did to me."

"Well, you have to be more specific. Just 'saying something in Japanese' isn't enough information."

"Alright, then give me a sentence in Japanese."

"Watashi wa amerika ni sundeimasu."

"Tu es très beau. What did your sentence mean?"

"I live in America. And yours?"

"Oh, I said that you're very beautiful."

Kiku's face immediately turned red from both embarrassment and shock. "O-Oh... W-Well... A-Anata mo. That means you are as well."

Matthew smiled and glanced over at his flustered date when he stopped at a red light. "Merci."

The two exited the car in a parking lot shaded by tall evergreens with not too many cars nearby. Just the mere sight of the beat-down dirt trail made Matthew shiver with excitement. It was his favorite hiking trail. The one that Dad used to take him and Alfred every weekend before he got too busy with work. He had so many memories here...

"C'mon, Kiku! If we start now, we'll be able to make it to the picnic area before sunset!" Matthew smiled, pulling his date's arm. Kiku chuckled at Matthew's excitement and allowed himself to be dragged onto the trail.

"So, do you follow this trail often?" Kiku mused as the two walked through the forest, an occasional jogger passing by them.

"Uh, somewhat. I try to get here whenever I have free time, but ever since I got my own job there hasn't been much of it. My dad used to take me and my brother here all the time."

"Matthew?"

"Yeah?"

"Matthew is your brother's name. Right?"

"Oh yeah! Matthew is my brother. That's his name. Definitely not mine..." Matthew stuttered, mumbling the last bit.

Luckily, Kiku didn't seem to catch it and hummed in contentment. "I'm relieved... When you said you wanted to go on a date in the forest, I thought you were planning to kill me."

"Who said I wasn't?" Matthew smirked and added a dark hint to his tone.

Kiku rolled his eyes and nudged him on the side. "Oh please, Alfred. Don't joke like that! People pass by too often for you to even make an attempt. But I do have to say that I'm really flattered you took me to a place that holds great... sentiment to you. Thank you."

"Only the best for you, Kiku."

The two continued their walk on the trail. Laughing at each other's jokes, listening to each other's stories, and petting the dogs and horses that occasionally passed them on the trail.

"I was always the quietest kid in school. No one really wanted to talk to me, but I think it's because I never made any effort to talk to them."

"Honestly, me too. My brother really outshone me in everything, so I really didn't wanna get involved in anything social at school. I still had a few friends though..." Matthew frowned. "Oh, just past here is the picnic area I was talking about! C'mon!"

Matthew grabbed Kiku's hand and pulled him through a small patch of trees that led to a clearing in front of a lake. There was a children's park, picnic tables, and a public bathroom.

"It's a rest stop." The blond explained. "We're just taking a shortcut to it."

The two made their way over to the park, their hands still interlocked. Just to their luck, parked right next to the bathroom was a bright yellow ice cream truck. Matthew smiled and dragged Kiku over to it.

"What flavor would you like?" he asked as he dug through his wallet.

"I'm fine with strawberry..."

"Good choice!"

The two made it to the front of the line and Matthew paid for their strawberry and vanilla ice creams. The two walked back towards the park and took a seat at a table in front of the lake.