Chapter xxvii

January

Harry pulled his beanie down lower over his ears as he walked through the park, damp grass clinging to his boots. A crisp breeze stung at his cheeks and nose, but the sun that was peaking out from behind the clouds was a good enough reason to walk. He'd been catching up on work all day from home and packing because he and Louis would be going to Paris in a week. He'd decided to walk last minute to get his prescription from the pharmacy before their trip.
He was going to pick Louis up from work after his errands, excited for the dinner they planned on making together.

He looked down at the marks his wet boots made on the sidewalk as he took his last step out of the grass and smiled softly. He'd been feeling better about losing his hearing completely, and grown more comfortable going out in public again without Louis beside him, although Louis' company always made it better.
Harry walked the last block to the pharmacy and slipped inside, warmth washing over his face. There was hardly anyone inside, only two employees and a woman and her daughter in the candy isle. Harry walked through the isles, trying to waste a few more minutes before going to the pharmacy counter, and trying to find sweets for himself and Louis. He ended up with a couple Flake bars and a few Tunnock's caramel wafers in his hands before he finally made his way to the counter.
He set the candy down and got his phone out, preparing himself before a young woman came up to the counter. She smiled at him, the same woman who had been here the last few times he'd come in for his prescription.
Harry held up his phone for her to see.

Hey Alice
Just my prescription please.

She smiled and nodded before turning back to the shelf of pre-ordered prescriptions and grabbing Harry's. She handed him the small bag and rang him up for the sweets, waving with a smile as Harry walked away from the counter.

The cold air hit his face in a gust as he walked back outside. He walked back through town and towards the park, smiling fondly as he passed their favourite breakfast restaurant, closed in the late hour of the afternoon. Harry checked the time on his phone, he still had an hour and a half before he had to pick Louis up from work. He tucked his phone back in his pocket and decided to take the long way back to the flat, walking around the park instead of through it. He had only taken this route a handful of times since moving to London, usually preferring the grass to concrete, but it was still beautiful.
The sidewalk sloped into a slight hill near the far end of the park, before evening out and coming to a cross section at Aldenham St. He crossed between rushes of cars with a large group of people, and stumbled back onto the sidewalk. There was a newer restaurant on the corner that he'd heard about but hadn't been to, he'd have to take Louis there soon.
Louis... He smiled at the thought of his boyfriend. Harry reached up to pull his beanie further down over his ears to block out the chill, his fingers gently grazing the surgery scars. His heart didn't stutter anymore when he touched them, he thought maybe they were alright. Louis thought they were alright, he'd press kisses to the small scars any time Harry felt anxious or self conscious about them, each kiss saying 'I love you, every inch of you is perfect'.
Harry hummed a soft sigh, thinking about how eternally grateful he was to have Louis in his life. He reached the corner of Aldenham and Chalton St. and pressed the button to cross. As he waited for the light to change, he looked around at the shops he'd never even noticed before: a dimly lit cocktail bar, a tiny used book store, and a small store with jewelry in the window. He walked towards the jewelry shop window, looking over his shoulder to keep an eye on the light. There were a handful of necklaces and bracelets on little stands, a rack of earrings, and a small glass case that held a few rings. Harry looked over his shoulder again and watched the light change, time to cross. He stuck his hands in his jacket pockets and turned back towards the street. A step into the street, he changed his mind and turned around, walking back towards the jewelry shop. He looked in the window again and stepped inside.