iii.

" bad company "

So, not only were angels real - something Aurora, just a couple of hours beforehand, wouldn't have thought to be possible - but, apparently, their one common trait seemed to be that they were all feathered douchebags. Except, of course, her new-found friend, Castiel. He, unlike most of his brothers and sisters, had a certain love for humanity, for all his father's creations, and he had gone through heaven and hell - quite literally - to assure the safety of his two favored humans, the Winchesters. Little did Aurora know, in a matter of no time, she too would gain a safe place under the rebellious angel's wing.

Growing up, the girl had always had a sliver of belief lingering in her heart; 'angels are watching over us', 'the angels will take care of you', 'angels will keep you safe' - that's what her mother would say whenever she needed to make Aurora feel safe. Too young and ingenuous to even consider the amount of bad things that were lurking in the dark, she took her mother's word for it, that is, at least, until her life started going in all the wrong directions. Her faith in the heavenly creatures started fading away, day by day, along with all the things that mattered to her - until she was left on her own, or so she thought.

Then, perhaps, her belief was never really gone; maybe, it had just developed into hope. Hope that something good, something better did exist, somewhere in this sad, forsaken world they were casted on, lacking any sort of instructions on how to cope with everything that would be thrown at them.

And then, she came upon Castiel. Just as the last lone shred of hope was on the verge of disintegrating, the angel appeared at her side, giving her, once again, something to believe in. However, he was entirely unlike she had imagined; she wasn't exactly sure what she had imagined - but he exceeded her expectations. He was incredibly...unearthly, and although that may seem obvious, it astonished her. She found comfort in his startlingly intense blue eyes, which seemed to pierce right through the protective shell she had built up and that coated her fragile soul, as well as his voice - it was sensuous, as if it demanded immediate notice, not allowing withholding.

In his presence, she couldn't feel anything but peace. It was a kind of peace she had never felt before, which engulfed her whole being; it was invigorating, compared to the constant ruckus she had grown accustomed to. She had no idea what it was; whether it was the effect angels had on people or some kind of mojo Castiel possessed. She didn't know, but the answer was one, and it was simple - she was at peace, because finally, she knew. Her mother had not been wrong; angels were, in fact, out there.

Considering all that, the girl struggled to understand how the angelic beings could be capable of causing any harm; the reason Castiel was asking for the Winchesters' help - something he rarely did, not wanting to burden them furthermore - was the violence that was occurring among his brothers and sisters, and the amount of casualties that it was leading to. The angel was determined to put an end to it.

A rather short argument preceded their departure, which had, on one side, Castiel disapproving of bringing Aurora along, since, unlike Sam and Dean, she had no familiarity with the matter of fighting angels, and, on the other, the girl herself, who insisted on going with them, and the two brothers, who stated, factually, that the girl could handle pretty much anything.

And so they were on their way, Dean effortlessly driving his baby down the empty streets, his brother seated next to him, in and out of sleep, and the newly acquainted two in the backseat.

Castiel wanted to know about her. She sparked his curiosity just as much as he sparked hers, but neither of them asked a thing; their silent amazement towards each other was enough, momentarily.