Chapter 28 | Crowns

Julian POV

Jaskier smiled lightly and couldn't help but chuckle out of both amusement and genuine happiness at seeing Ciri run to the car. She definitely is a ball of energy that little one. It's good that she is allowed to be so relaxed and she had a good dad a brilliant one actually.

Jaskier walked up to the car with a chuckle, if his foot wasn't shit then he would've suggested that they had a running competition to the car.

When he reached the door he opened it before hopping in, allowing himself to get comfortable and dodges the two packs of smokes on the floor of the car. He plopped his seat belt on and turned, just in case to make sure Ciri had her seat belt on. He flashed he a smile before looking to Geralt with soft eyes, he hadn't been this happy in well, since he managed to get one of the pole dancing moves right and he gained an extra 40 dollars from it.

He chuckled lightly as he let there be warmth in his eyes before he glanced out the window, not trusting himself to look at Geralt for too long for multiple différant reasons. He started humming gently, it was a new tune. Jaskier liked to try write a new song at least once a day but he liked to choose the tune first.

Geralt POV

Geralt set the car in reverse and began pulling out of his parking spot. He set it in drive again as he turned back into the road. The car clock read four forty-seven. It would likely be somewhere closer to five-thirty he got Ciri home again, particularly since rush hour traffic would be starting to pick up soon.

He drove on, noticing how Jaskier didn't look at him. Not that it mattered. Geralt knew where the man was and that he was safe. That was all he needed to worry about regarding Jaskier. Ciri was another concern. He half wanted to try and start a conversation with her, but he wasn't particularly good at such a thing and besides, what do he have to talk about?

Ciri POV

Ciri swung her legs mindlessly. She was tall enough that they easily reached the floor of the car, and as such with the swinging, they brushed against it with a chuffing noise. She started out the window, watching the woods and the occasional other car go by.

"Dad?" She said into the quiet. Jaskier's humming was going to get stuck in her head, she knew it. "Who are you being reassigned to?"

Julian POV

Jaskier smiled as he hummed away, allowing the drive to continue before hearing Ciris question. His humming slowed down slightly until it came to a stop and he swallowed as he looked out the window. It was a fair question, he guessed that it would be Renfri that he was reassigned to due to it being his last client.

Jaskier was silent now, watching out the window and pretending that the subject didn't effect him. It shouldn't, not really. It's not like Geralt was his lover or anything, it wasn't like they were married, it wasn't like he was supposed to be anything more than just a normal bodyguard who was looking after his client. Who just happened to be Jaskier.

Jaskier allowed the two to talk, staying silent unless he was addressed due to this being the only family time they're going to have in a while. Ciri looked after Geralt as much as Geralt looked after her, he could see that clear as day. Adoptive child or not, those two were meant to be together, definitely it was destinys doing. He dare not say it wasn't concidering what happened to him last time he tried to offend destiny.