7 | The Soul Thief

CHAPTER SEVEN: THE SOUL THIEF

───── ⋆★⋆ ─────

To say Violet was startled would be entirely incorrect

To say Violet was startled would be entirely incorrect. In fact, it would be so wrong a statement that it would invalidate the sheer excitement thrumming through her veins at seeing yet another favourite character of hers, which would then incite an hour-long PowerPoint presentation of why Violet thought Sirius Black deserved better. (She had done so for her English class once, receiving full marks for her energy and enthusiasm. Violet has it in high regards that it was a moment most pleasing to her career as a Potterhead.)

Just as she turned to Ron and Hermione to inform them of the shaggy black dog that was staring holes into their best friend, Violet decided that perhaps it wasn't the best idea to do so. Ron would immediately believe it was something prophetic like the Grimm, and if it got to Harry's head... Well, that wouldn't be good at all.

So, instead she opened her mouth and said, "Happy birthday."

"Thanks," replied Hermione absentmindedly as they began walking down the train. She paused abruptly, confusion tugging at her brows. "Wait a minute, it's not even my birthday."

"That's what you think."

"What?"

"Oh, looks like this is the only free compartment!" said Violet cheerfully, marching ahead and pulling open the door to the carriage near the end of the train. "There's someone sleeping here but I'm sure he won't mind sharing." And without a care in the world, she flopped down onto a seat next to Professor Lupin. He slept undisturbed.

Hermione followed, looking equal parts baffled and annoyed. "What do you even mean, Violet?"

"I don't know," she shrugged. "I was just trying to distract you."

"From what?"

"Sirius Black," she whispered mysteriously, eyes blown wide.

Hermione seemed to not take this seriously, as she rolled her eyes in response. Maybe it was her imagination, but Violet could have sworn the lump that was Professor Lupin had twitched ㅡ but the instant she had decided to stare the man down she was interrupted by someone clearing their throat.

"Ginny, Violet ㅡ I kind of need to talk to these two in private..."

"Oh, don't mind me, I'll merge into the air as soon as you look at me," said Violet waving her hand in her face. "See? Bet you can't see me."

"I hate to break it to you but we can," smirked Ginny, not budging from her seat.

"No, you can hear me. You only think you can see me. You're just filling in the noise with your imagination, see. How many fingers am I holding up?"

"Five," deadpanned Harry.

"That's what you think," said Violet matter-of-factly, pointing a finger into Harry's face as she bullshitted her way into staying in the compartment.