13 | Castle Rules

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: CASTLE RULES

───── ⋆★⋆ ─────

Violet had taken to starting every breakfast at a different table. She would sometimes drag Lilly to the Hufflepuff table, where they sat with her friend Avalon Croft, who became Violet's friend once she recalled that Avalon was the one who called Snape a "dungeon-bat", and everyone else merely tolerated their shrieking at ass-o-clock in the morning.

Well, mostly everyone did.

Just as Violet sat at a different table every morning, Percy Weasley was just as hellbent in making sure she stayed at hers. Percy had employed the Weasley twins to carry her back each time, in exchange for keeping silent about their product-testing in his letters to their parents. They happily took their sweet time ("because who gives a shit, Perce? Let the girl have some fun!") and more often than not came back with new products in mind and devilish smiles to match. Violet was usually nowhere near them.

She had made the imperial decision to sit at the Slytherin table on Thursday morning, when she was suddenly intercepted by a red-faced ginger, who apparently decided to take matters into his own hands.

"Hello, Mister Head Boy Prefect, Sir," started Violet immediately with a flattering smile. "How can I help you this fine morning?"

"You're not bothering the Slytherins today, Snape," he scowled crossly, blooming all shades of blotchy red across his nose and cheeks. "Not today!"

"But I have an important mission to fulfill!" she cried, dropping her facade of innocence and opting for one of anguish. "It's for the greater good that I sit with my dear son today, surely you won't deprive me of this one familial relationship when I've been so alone my whole life."

"Who on Earth is yourㅡ? Never mind," he shook his head incredulously, cutting himself off. "I don't want to know. Just get back to the Gryffindor table; I won't tell you again."

"So step telling me," she replied instantly.

"Snape."

"How about we make a deal?"

"I am Head Boy; I don't make deals, I enforce rules!"

"But there's no real rule dictating I can't sit with another table."

"There kind of is," said Hermione in passing, leading a sleepy looking Ron behind her. Percy thrust his arm out as if to say, ha! Violet glared. "What? Am I the only one who's bothered to read Hogwarts: A History?"

"Thanks so much, Hermione," said Violet dryly, as Percy shot her a triumphant smile. "Really, you've done me such a great favour there."

"'S'not like you have to actually follow the rules though," mumbled Ron through a yawn, earning him a reproving slap on the arm. "They're just..." he waved his hand absently in the air, "...there. We've broken the rules tons of times and we're still here."