11 | Shards

CHAPTER ELEVEN: SHARDS

───── ⋆★⋆ ─────

There are three fundamental facts that must be known. Like Newton's laws or the fact that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, there were three important things that would determine the very fate of the Wizarding world as we know it.

The first: Potions was coming to an end. The class had spent the first hour of the double period writing, or pretending to write in Ron's case, their essays, and the second half at attempting to brew a successful wiggenweld potion. This brings us to our second fact: Hermione needed to be at Arithmancy an hour ago. The witch needed a way to use her Time-Turner without getting caught, and urgently needed a distraction so she could slip away and flip some gold.

It just so happened that Violet was excellent at distractions.

Winking at the bushy-haired witch beside her, Violet turned and leisurely walked to the back of the classroom under the guise of returning the glass phials she had borrowed, "accidentally" dropping the whole bunch on the floor with a loud crash.
She felt the piercing glare on her before she saw it.

"Whoops," she said whimsically, gazing down at the shards of glass between her feet and the desk. "Silly little Gryffindor me can't seem to hold things properly; what ever shall I do?" She sighed, looking absolutely helpless with wide, pleading eyes. "Seamus, Dean, could you two help me please? Maybe three silly Gryffindors are better than one, and we can fix this up in a jiffy!"

"Don't even think about it," snapped Snape from across the classroom, and Violet's hand jumped away from the glinting shards. "Are you an idiot?"

"Yes," she declared confidently, flapping her hand urgently behind her. Seamus jolted, staring at the hand waving a slip of torn parchment in confusion, before slowly reaching out to take it.

Snape looked as if he were one second away from crushing the phial in his hands; Daphne Greengrass and Millicent Bullstrode looked warily at the potion they had worked hard to perfection, the fruit of their effort seemingly short-lived.

"Don't touch the glass," he said through gritted teeth. "I'll be over shortly to dispose of it. Walk back to your desk and stay there."

Violet grinned and snapped her hand to her forehead in a sharp salute. "Aye, aye, Boss!" She walked sensibly back and busied herself with packing her things, sending the occasional snark to Hermione as she did so. Dean glanced from her to his best friend, to the parchment in his hands to the red-head again.

"What does it say?" He asked slowly, only slightly unsure if he wanted to know at all.

Seamus dragged his eyes over the hastily written scrawl in black ink, and felt a smirk stretch over his lips at the third fundamental truth. He locked eyes with Dean.