Chapter 4

My house was like any other house on our street. White with grey touches. Very modern with black and white tiles, furnished rugs and high walls.

 The best room was my room, obviously. With its pastel pink and purple walls, a big vanity with lights on the mirror and best of all was that it had a balcony and a window seat with an awesome view of the sunset.

 Although, my little sister Emma thought the best room was hers. Emma is only eight but she acts like she's twelve or something. We have the same shade of hair and eyes. The only difference was that she took Dad's straight hair, and I took our mom's curly hair. My big brother, Gregory had straight hair too, but it was blond like Dad's. 

 Gregory was in college then and would probably be back by Christmas. I was always happy to see Gregory. He was like a role model and I always thought he was so cool. 

He was popular in high school. I wished I was like him. Everyone was just naturally drawn to his charm and charisma.

I was standing by my window looking over the forest when I heard my name. It was barely over a whisper. If i wasn't so silent, I wouldn't have heard it. 

"Genevieve."

I turned back to my room in fright. "Who... who's there?"

I had the nagging feeling I had experienced this before. But in a different place. 

Then I saw it.

The small thing between the covers, glinting in the soft light. A pencil.

I picked it up and everything from the previous night came rushing back to me.

Star falling... into the forest... magical pencil... golden... 

Suddenly, my mom burst into my room. I hid the pencil behind my back, subtly pushing it between the sheets in case she got suspicious.

 "Genevieve dear, come help me set the table for dinner." she said, totally oblivious.

"Okay, Mom. I'm coming."

I put the pencil inside the lowest drawer in my bedside table. 

At dinner, Dad asked me how my day was. My dad was a tall cheerful man. He had soft brown eyes, and a charming smile. Everyone says that he's where Greg got his charm from. Dad's a huge sports fan and comes to all my school's games. 

"So how was school, Gen?" My dad asked as he began eating.

I shrugged. "It was okay, I guess. Though Miss Crystal still has it in for me. She paired me up with this guy..."

"Blake Harrington," my mom said excitedly.

I gave her a look as my dad said "The Blake Harrington? Best soccer player in your school?"

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "Yes, Dad. That one."

"You don't like him? " Dad asked, raising a brow. As if anyone could dislike the great Blake Harrington.

It bristled me even more seeing the effect he had. So what if he was good at soccer. Doesn't change the fact he's a jerk.

Him saying he didn't want to be my partner still hurt even though I would never admit it.

"Not really," I said in a way that meant that the conversation was over.

My parents caught on and exchanged glances.

Emma began to talk about the school project she was doing with her friend. She was so excited about it. I wished I had that kind of carefree happiness.

...

Dinner wrapped up pretty quickly after that and I went back to my room. After watching a few cartoons with Emma of course.

I changed into my pyjamas and went to sleep.

Boy, was I not ready for the next day at school...