Prologue: The Night Before The Torture

Mason's POV:

  It was just another evening.

I only live with my mom, because my dad died when I was 8. She goes on night shifts. I had company, don't worry. My cats Darrell and Hunter are indoor cats, and due to this I felt better around animals than people. I have a few friends, Alicia and Lara. I was a "weird kid" and was often bullied by other kids.

Back to the story. I was watching a new thriller on TV, getting connections to the characters, and just enjoying it in general. Soon enough, it finished. I yawned. God, what's the time? I thought. I stole a glance at the clock. Midnight?! Darn it, I have school tomorrow!

  I walked very slowly. I climbed into bed, but I found I couldn't sleep. I pulled out a book, and read it. What was this book? It was a Famous Five book, you can't blame me for having my own tastes, y'know.

  I was halfway when I felt my eyes drooping. I shut my eyes, and nearly fell asleep. Nearly.

There was a sudden crash from downstairs. Is Mom already back? She never comes back until 4 AM! I suddenly realized, that may not be Mom.

I crept downstairs, holding a flashlight. I didn't see anything at first, but then....

  "Huh?"

  "W-who are you?!"

  "S-stay back!!"

There was a dark figure, with a baseball bat in hand. I was scared out of my wits.

Then he hit me on the head. I let out a blood-curdling scream, and then I collapsed, and all went black.

Author's Note: Hey guys! This is my first book, so I don't expect it to be very good.  I made this in my spare time and am still working on it. It will have references to a collaboration I did on Roblox, so look out for those. Sorry it's short, 322 words including these. I guess I'll see ya around!