chapter fourteen

s o p h i e   f o s t e r

after chemistry, sophie walked to lunch with keefe and marella. today was thursday and they usually served some sort of pasta. her mouth was watering over the delicious smells wafting from the cafeteria. she could tell her friends were as equally as interested when marella shut up about talking gossip, which she never did.
the three of them hurried to the lunch line, retrieved their trays, and dumped a whole lot of spaghetti on their plates. as they walked to their usual lunch table sophie couldn't help but think about the joke keefe made in chemistry. did she really dress like a goth? sophie looked down and frowned at her choice of clothing. she was wearing dark navy blue jeans, a black sweatshirt, and her black combat boots.
marella, on the other hand, looked freaking amazing. her blonde hair was pulled back in a high ponytail, she had a cute pink and white floral mini skirt on and a blush pink top to go along with it. it was a little chilly in the cafeteria and sophie noticed the white cardigan marella had put on over her shoulders. usually cardigans weren't very "stylish" in her generation but marella just made it work.
she sighed and sat down in the middle of the table. it was a pretty gloomy day outside with all the rain and it always brought down her mood. keefe locked eyes with sophie before walking over to his old table. "what the heck?" sophie exclaimed. marella turned around to see what she was looking at and frowned.
"don't think too much of it. he's probably just tired of talking to girls. he'll be back tomorrow." sophie wasn't too sure he was going to return but she ignored the thought and stuffed a fork full of spaghetti in her mouth. of course right at this moment someone decided to approach her.
"hey. mind if i sit? all the other tables are full." said a girl with long black hair that reached down to her waist. when sophie looked up at her with a face full of pasta she recognized the girl immediatley. her bangs were dyed silver at the tips and her outfit was almost an exact replica of what sophie was wearing. thankfully marellla answered for her with a quick nod.
"you're linh song, right? i mean of course you are. you look exactly like tam. not that you look like a guy or anything...it's just you're bangs are silver. they're really cool." marella rambled as linh took a seat beside sophie.
"thanks." linh said with a blush. marella was obssesed ,to say the least, with her brother so she was probably trying to get on her good side.
after taking an extremely loud gulp sophie turned to face linh, deciding to start a conversation. "have any plans for over the weekend?"
linh shrugged and started to unravel the wrap around her sandwich that she'd brought from home. "my brother invited me to a party on saturday night. i might go to that."
across the table from sophie, marella was scrolling through her phone but paused to look up at the mention of a party. "are you sure? i haven't heard of any foxfire parties this weekend."
"oh it's not hosted by anyone who goes to foxfire. it's a college party. tam's friends with a few freshman who let him come and i get to tag along sometimes. i kind of stopped going when he started bringing biana though." linh added with a frown.
"who's to say that they're only tam's friends? i bet they'd be happy to take in such a stunning queen." marella was seriously sucking up to linh but she didn't seem to notice, or mind if she did know.
linh's blush only grew deeper. "i'm pretty sure they have some pact with my brother. no guys even look at me at those parties."
"well you're making it easy on them by wearing baggie sweatshirts." sophie commented. being around marella had shown sophie how many guys checked you out when you wore stylish clothing. she was so used to it, marella didn't even seem to notice anymore.
she fanned her eyes with her long pink manicured nails and looked up. "omg you're growing up so fast. i feel like such a proud mamma."
sophie rolled her eyes and offered linh some advice. "i think you should go. don't let biana or tam hold you back from having fun. that's what senior year is all about. having fun." while she said this, sophie realized she needed to take her own advice.
"i just..." linh shook her head then bit her lip nervously. "i don't want to go alone. but i don't have anybody to bring." she confessed.
"we can go with you. i have nothing going on this weekend and i doubt sophie does either." marella jumped at the chance to hang out with linh, but she could tell that marella had other motives too. marella ,no doubt, was hoping to see tam but as long as she was being nice to linh sophie didn't think it mattered too much.
linh's face brightened at the same instant that the rain stopped. it was like she could control the rain with her emotions. "really?" she perked up. "i mean we just met. what if you decide you don't like me? and what if i get annoying? i annoy a lot of people. are you sure you want to make plans that far in the future."
sophie and marella made eye contact from across the table and then simultaneously turned to look at linh. she was such a sweet girl, pretty open about her feelings though. linh kind of reminded her of marella, in that they both rambled...a lot. "of course we'll go. any excuse to party, am i right?" marella laughed. "if you're asking if we'd ditch you the answer is no." she assured her.
ding! ding! ding! the bell rang signifying that lunch was over and sophie had to think before heading to her next class. she had...latin! that's what is was. marella had ran off without her so she walked with linh until they had to go their separate ways. she was entering the classroom when she budded heads with a short strawberry blonde haired boy. "ow!" sophie groaned as she reached up to rub her head.
the boy, that she'd recognized as dex dizznee, matched her actions and apologized quickly. "sorry about that. i've been pretty clumsy today."
"no no it's fine. it's my fault. i'm such a clutz."
"hey wait. you're sophie, right? i've been meaning to meet you but we keep missing each other, you're never home whenever i go to my aunt and uncle's house." dex said with a kind smile.
sophie was a little skeptical that now, just when she was starting to hang out with his kind of people, he decided to talk to her. but he did seem genuine and her foster parents were always talking about the many times he'd come over while she was at the public library studying so she knew he wasn't lying.
"yeah." ding! ding! ding! luckily sophie was already in class so technically she wasn't late but because of dex there were very few seats left open.
dex seemed to have read her mind and waved her over to his table. " there's an open seat next to me if you want to sit."
she happily took him up on his offer and walked over to his small table. there were only four chairs and two were filled by him and marella. it made sense why that sat next to each other, since they were the most popular kids in the class and sophie felt like this would be a great honor for any other person in her class.
when the class started dex and marella spoke in hushed tones to gossip. he was pretty much the female version of her. sophie had a feeling they would get along well. "did you hear about what happened during lunch?" dex started.
"no. what happened?" marella whispered.
"well first off, keefe finally decided to sit at our table again."
"it's been like two days." sophie defended.
dex ignored her and continued. "fitz was all like 'keefe you should ask maruca to prom' cuz we all know she has a major crush on him. but he said that he was planning on asking someone else to prom. when fitz asked who it was keefe refused to tell him. and keefe tells him everything!"
now sophie understood where marella got all her information from. the two of them exchanging information could get rumors flying all over school in a matter of seconds. marella gasped and her eyes widened. while dex nudged sophie marella wiggled her eyebrows at her and they both started giggling.
"what?" she asked, totally oblivious.
"don't play dumb, girl. we all know he's gonna ask you." dex smirked.
"me? no way. we're just friends."
"you don't look like 'just friends'." marella smirked.
"shut up. he's not asking me to prom and even if he did i wouldn't go."
marella and dex's jaws dropped to the floor like it was a crime not to go. "that's hilarious. you're going to prom even if i have to drag you by your feet." she threatened.

sry for not updating yesterday! i used my writing time to plan out the rest of the book so now it'll be easier for me to update multiple chapters a day!