Man Overboard

man overboard

_______________

-SARIA'S POV-

"You are to promise me that no matter what, you will help me in my mission, even if it means taking a life."

The conversation ran through my mind while I meditated, giving me a slight headache.

"What?"

"My plans are dangerous, and I cannot achieve them alone. I need you to promise me you will do whatever it takes to ensure that you will assist me, and if that means taking a life of a human or... spirit... then you will do it. You're Fire Nation, after all."

"Spirit? But, Father-,"

"Promise me!"

I remember shivering as he yelled at me, his loud voice infiltrating my mind. It scared me. He scared me.

"Yes, Father. I promise."

His failures were making him frustrated. He was feeling out of control. He turned to me for support for the first time in my life. I had finally earned his respect. I want to help him, but I'm not sure that I can take a life, human or spirit. 

During my meditation, I heard a gentle knock at the door. I hummed in response and kept my eyes shut as the person entered.

"You're meditating."

I opened one eye to look at my brother. He was sweaty, and his hair was falling out of his usual Fire Nation top knot, indicating he had been training.

"I have a lot to think about."

"Well, Father says there's a storm approaching, so we need all hands-on deck later." He replied, not wishing to disturb his sister for much longer. 

"Mhm" I stayed there, sitting like a statue, which earned a sigh from Aiko before he walked back out of the room, leaving me alone once again.

<>

It was no surprise to anyone that Zuko had been in his room all morning, brooding away. Especially considering how close he was to the Avatar just days before, only to fail once again.

He laid on his bed and stared up at the roof, his mind wandering to a certain brown-haired girl whom Zuko hadn't stopped thinking about since he was first banished. He never got to say goodbye to her, then suddenly, out of nowhere, she shows up beside her father. She stood against Zuko.

"Saria." He whispered softly while his eyes fell closed.

"I'm going to marry you one day."

"Really?" Little Saria's cheeks turned a bright red. 

"Yep! Then, we can travel the world. I will be Fire Lord, and you will have everything you could ever want. We'll be happy." Little Zuko sounded so positive of their future together. 

For hours they would speak about the adventures they would get up to together once they were of marrying age, and they felt like the only two people in the world.

Little did they know how much everything would change.

When Zuko woke, he immediately walked to deck, grabbing his spyglass on the way. He stared out into the clear, blue sky, trying to find any sign of the Avatar. His uncle, General Iroh stood in front of him, the look on his face indicating he was deep in thought. Iroh sniffed the air as Zuko lowered his spyglass.