In Hiding

in hiding

_______________

Following both Zuko and Saria's rejection to his offer to join him, Iroh left the ship for a calming night's walk, something he would do frequently when he was prince of the Fire Nation and heir to the throne. The cold, peaceful night wind aided Iroh in staying in a state of serenity.

Earlier that day, the ship's crew had left to go join Zhao's mission, taking all their belongings with them. The ship was almost completely empty, with even the quietest of sounds creating echoes down the halls. After Iroh left, the ship was completely empty besides Zuko and Saria, who hadn't spoken to each other for numerous days.  

Since Zhao's visit to his ship, Zuko had kept completely to himself. He experienced an overwhelming sense of hopelessness, barely leaving his cabin to do anything besides grab food, which he would end up taking back to his quarters regardless. 

Meanwhile, Saria spent the days wanting to be angry with Zuko for not apologising for what he said to her, for he had hurt her immensely. In truth, however, she missed being around him and his snide remarks and just wished for things to be as they once were just a few days before.

Saria restlessly tossed and turned in her bed, the silence from the desolate ship making her uneasy. She hated feeling alone, and Iroh wasn't around to comfort her. She quickly found herself regretting not joining him on his walk.

Eventually, the girl stood up with a deep sigh, left her room, and marched towards Zuko's quarters. Once she approached his door, she pounded on it, breaking Zuko out of his meditation.

"No, Uncle, I'm not coming with yo- Oh. It's you." 

Zuko's heart began beating immediately once the door opened to reveal the girl that had been lingering in his mind for days. She stood at his doorway for a long moment, her face growing pale. 

"I wanted to- uh, can I stay in here for a bit?" She said, stumbling on her words.

The prince blinked awkwardly as he watched Saria turn red, keeping her eyesight low to avoid eye contact. Silence surrounded the two. To Saria's relief, Zuko decided it was best not to reply, and gave her a silent nod instead before sitting back down on his bed.

His body stiffened as the girl went to sit beside him, her leg grazing his. The awkward tension between them was unbearable. Saria, in an attempt to break the silence, cleared her throat before looking up at the boy next to her.

Her heart cracked once his eyes met hers. What once was hope and determination to get his honour back was now replaced with despondency and anguish. He had dark circles around his eyes, proving to Saria that he hadn't been sleeping. She reached for his hand, wanting nothing more than to comfort him.

Zuko quickly drew his hand away from her when her icy skin brushed his. Saria's face dropped, and she steered her glance to the floor once again. The boy hesitated for a moment before returning his hand in hers, immediately feeling at ease once he felt her soft skin. He entwined their fingers between each other before taking a deep breath. 

The tension was thick as they stared into each other's eyes, trying to read how the other was feeling. The grip on their joined hands grew stronger, as though they were afraid they'd lose each other.

"Saria, I'm sor-"

A loud banging from within the ship interrupted Zuko, and he quickly pulled away from Saria, jerking his head towards the door. 

"Uncle?" The prince walked over to his doorway and glanced down either side of the hall beside him. "Uncle, is that you?"

No answer.