The Confession

the confession

_______________

Zuko tossed and turned restlessly, struggling to maintain his sleep. His mind was occupied, stuck on thinking about the girl on the other side of the ship. The next day, he remained quiet and pensive, caught in a state of constant doubt about disclosing himself to her.

Thankfully for Zuko, Iroh was occupied throughout the day himself with the excitement of living as a tourist and being friendly with other refugees on the boat. Under other circumstances, Zuko would have scolded his uncle for his behaviour, but for now, it was in the boys favour. 

That evening, when Iroh's songs diverted the attention of most of the ship, Zuko slipped away from the crowd stealthily. While keeping hidden, the boy placed the Blue Spirit mask on his face, covering his identity. The Blue Spirit climbed on top of the ship, sneaking through the shadows as he searched for the girl he had been waiting to see again for so long.

Once The Blue Spirit found her, his heart clenched. Saria was sitting alone in the darkness, staring out to the sky, something she used to do when needing space on his ship those months ago.

He knew he could always find her there, under the moonlight.

There was something different about her this time, though. She was looking at the moon as though she felt sorry for it, as though it were her friend. 

The boy watched her from a distance, contemplating whether or not he should approach her. He glanced around, checking to see if anyone else was nearby. After confirming that she was isolated, he dropped onto the deck behind her, making the girl stand up and spin in shock. Her eyes grew wider as she met those of the mask.

"The Blue Spirit." She gaped, holding her hands on her chest. The boy in the mask bowed to her, showing her that he was not dangerous. She gave him a long, fixed look before bending back, her sense of fear beginning to fade.

The girl turned and sat back down, followed by the spirit, who placed himself next to her. Enjoying each other's space, the two sat in comfortable silence for a moment, staring up at the sky.

"It's been a while." She spoke to the mask, earning a hum in response. "I wasn't sure if you made it out of the stronghold. I suppose the Avatar saved you?"

The Blue Spirit nodded, her voice sending warm chills down his spine. He watched her as she leaned back, using her arms behind her to support her weight. His eyes trailed her soft face, and he couldn't help but notice how different she seemed.

Physically, Zuko could tell she hadn't been eating well. Her cheekbones sank slightly, and her skin was pale. But there was something else—something Zuko couldn't put his finger on. She had matured greatly; that much was evident.

Despite her change, she was still the same old Saria, whom he had known almost his whole life.

"He's dead, you know. My father."

The boy under the mask gaped. Not about hearing about Zhao's death, but more about how unbothered Saria seemed.. It shocked him. After all, he was still her father.

"I lost someone special that same day. Not my father, but a boy I hadn't known for very long before then."

The Blue Spirit froze. She was talking about him. 

"I don't know if or when I'll see him again. There's a lot I've realised since then—things I was pushing away when I was with him."

All he wanted to do was reach out to her and sit under the moonlight with her as Zuko. He wanted to hold her again and keep her warm throughout the cool night.