Chapter 30

"Hey what are you doing after school" Sam asked before sitting down beside me at the lunch table.
"I have practice from 4pm until 6pm" I replied taking a bite out of my sandwich.

I better thank Maggie for that, she really came in clutch. Maggie is one of the lunch lady's here at the school, she treats me like I'm some form of family, like a niece it's cute. I don't know how she took a liking to me though, I'm one of the last kids teachers and staff that work here would like.

I forgot to lift my wallet off of the kitchen counter this morning which means I couldn't go out somewhere to buy lunch. Maggie always try's to give me free food even if I'm sitting with a bag of Popeyes or McDonald's in front of me. She really saved my ass today, I definitely couldn't have gone through practice without eating anything.

"If you want I can get one of my buddies to drop you home if you don't wanna wait" I added wiping my mouth with a napkin. "Or if you don't wanna do that I can tell coach I'll be 15 minutes late to practice and drop you home myself" I gave her a questioning look.

"Karin are you forgetting I'm on the cheer squad" she replied with a laugh. My face turned a light pink, "oh yeah I guess I did forget about that" I said chuckling.

A few of my teammates joined us at the table. "So are you guys like a thing now or what" Zoe said pointing at us with her plastic fork.
I let out a nervous laugh, mainly because even I don't know what me and Sam are.

Friends? Are we friends? It feels like too much to just say we are friends. "Jesus Zo hold back with all these outrageous questions" I said giving her the eyes. I guess she took the hint and she apologised, "alright geez I was just asking a simple question" she held both her hands up in defence.

I felt Sam shift beside me, "I've gotta get to class a bit early I need to ask Mr Stevens about the homework, I'll meet you at the car after practice Karin" and with that Sam walked off without even letting me reply. I watched her walk down towards the cafeteria doors and after a few seconds she had disappeared.

I instantly whip my head around to face them all, "Zoe seriously?" I groaned rubbing my hands down my face. "What'd I do" she said her mouth still full of food, she was genuinely clueless on what she had done. "You killed hotshot over here's chance at a girl" Dani laughed nudging me.

"What is up with you and Sam anyway" Alex questioned me taking a bite of her food. All the girls were now intrigued and waiting for me to answer. "I don't know, we act like we're more than friends when we're together but I think that's where we stand at the moment, just friends" I answered truthfully.

"I never thought you'd be the type of person to go for a cheerleader king, seeing as they're all stuck up their own asses" Maddy looked at me slightly confused.

"Yeah usually you hook up with them at like a party and then pretend they don't exist the next day when they're all over you or trying to get your attention" Zoe states. "When you put it like that you make me sound like a player" I protested.

"That's because you are!" Alex and Dani said at the same time causing the girls to laugh. "Sams just different ok, she's not like all of the others" I added. "Sounds like someone's catching feelings" Dani exclaimed excitedly.

I groaned again and put my head on the table, "has anyone ever told you how fucking annoying you guys are" I mumbled. "Yes actually, you, multiple times" Zoe said throwing a skittle at my head.