43

"Hey man, wait up

"Hey man, wait up." I hear Chase say from behind me as he jogs to catch up to where I am. Pausing on the sidewalk to wait, I put my hands in my pockets and smile tightly. When he's standing beside me, we slap our hands together in greeting and turn to walk side by side.

"What's up?" I question, unsure of where we stand considering I'm doing everything but fucking his little sister.

"Just wanted to see how you're doing. You've been quiet. Lexi misses having you around too." He guilts me and it works, but I roll my eyes.

"I'll go over there later."

"You gonna bring Aurora?" He asks, and I can't help but think about how he didn't say 'my sister', as if he's all of a sudden less territorial of her now.

"Why would I?" I ask, feeling sick to my stomach as soon as the words leave my mouth. Chase doesn't even look the slightest bit phased.

"This is just you denying that you have feelings for her, so I'm going to give you exactly one pass. Downplay your feelings for her to yourself all you want, but do not disrespect her to me or anyone else, got it?" He asks lowly but I can hear the threat buried in his words. I nod once.

After classes finish up, I'm eager to get to Lexi's, needing to get my mind off of Aurora. My thoughts are becoming almost obsessive and I need a distraction. Badly.

Knocking on the door, I stop to listen for footsteps and sure enough, it swings open to reveal Lexi in a huge t-shirt and basketball shorts, brown hair up in a bird's nest on her head and thick, navy blue glasses perched on her nose. "Maddie!" She exclaims, brown eyes lighting up as she jumps up to hug me.

My arms wrap around her back and I step into her apartment, still holding her, knowing that she loves long hugs. Laughing, I manage to pry her off of me and we move to sit on the couch, Lexi immediately pulls up a movie for the two of us to 'watch'. As soon as she turns to face me and opens her mouth, I know that I'm not going to be able to watch the movie whatsoever.

"So..." She trails off, smirking. Her eyes are filled with mischief and I roll my own, contemplating leaving already.

"Spit it out." I command and she chuckles, holding her hands up in surrender.

"Easy tiger, this isn't an interrogation. Just two friends talking..."

"Right. And I'm the President of the United States." I say sarcastically.

"Don't be a little wimp Maddie. This will be over in no time."

"Said every serial killer ever."

Lexi rolls her eyes and fidgets in her seat before continuing. "How's it going with Aurora? You two..."

"Yes, because I'd tell you that." I stare at her impassively. Her perfectly shaped eyebrows raise on her face and a smirk starts to form on the corner of her lips.

"You never used to have a problem sharing, but now that I want to hear it, you don't say a word...hmm." She rubs her chin with her index finger and thumb. "It's almost like you're...evolving." She gasps dramatically and I push her off the couch, rolling my eyes.

"Fuck off." I say, my mind quickly moving back to thoughts of Aurora. "Worst distraction ever." I mumble under my breath and hear Lexi burst out laughing from her spot on the floor.

"You're so fucked." She laughs, eyes staring at me gleefully.

"You think I don't know that? I'm turning into Chase." I groan.

"You're acting like falling in love is the end of the world. Why do guys have this idea in their head that being with one person is a bad thing? I can't think of anything easier than having one person to share everything with.

"Can you even imagine yourself with anyone else at this point? Good news, I bet Aurora can't either. So get your head out of your ass."

"Love?" I say, my voice cracking slightly and I clear my throat. All humour from Lexi is gone, replaced with only a serious expression.

"Go get the girl and stop wasting your time here with me, or let her the fuck go Maddox. This isn't a game that you can pause when you want to take a break."