Chapter 3

" This is the worst...I'm so hungry...I don't think I can make it home... " Zenitsu moaned as his stomach grumbled unceremoniously but he could care less about what others think of him at that moment.

He just wanted some food dammit.

" I wouldn't be this tired if I had a full lunch but with half of an onigiri? It's a miracle I already survived the rest of the school day... " Zenitsu muttered to himself as he trudged back home, " Today's Tuesday...ah, dammit, there's kendo training today too. Maybe I can sneak a few peaches for a snack before training. "

Zenitsu continued to mutter to himself as he walked back home, exhausted and hungry. Zenitsu lived in a two-storey house with his grandfather, Kuwajima Jigoro, and his older, adopted brother, Kaigaku. If you were wondering, Jigoro is Zenitsu's maternal grandfather who took him in when both of his parents had died in a car crash. At that time, Jigoro had recently adopted Kaigaku.

Kaigaku looked up to Jigoro and was upset that he had to share Jigoro in his child mindset but it became worse when it was clearly shown that Zenitsu was better than him at kendo. Kaigaku, filled with jealousy, treated Zenitsu harshly majority of the time but Zenitsu still loves him as a brother. Does Kaigaku feel the same? No one knows, maybe except for Jigoro but he'll keep his mouth shut for now.

'Ah, Tanjirou's really kind like other people said. Plus, that smile...' Zenitsu recalled that bright, eye-closed smile Tanjirou shot towards him, '...GAH! Stupid Zenitsu!'

Zenitsu began to hit his head repeatedly against a lamp post as other locals stared at him weirdly and avoided him.

" Mama, why is he banging his head on the lamp post? " an innocent child asked, pointing at Zenitsu.

" Don't look. You'll catch his weirdness. " the mother shushed her child and quickly steered her son away from Zenitsu.

'Ah, shouldn't waste any more time before Gramps decided to kick me for being late' Zenitsu thought as he picked up the pace.
*
WHACK

" Ow! Gramps! What the hell was that for?! " Zenitsu wailed as he nursed the growing bruise on his head.

" You're daydreaming again! " Jigoro scolded, " What on earth is up with you today? You met a girl you like or something? "

" Wh-WHAT?! NO! " Zenitsu yelped.

" So? It's a guy? I'm fine if you swing the other way too but don't et it affect your kendo training! " JIgoro barked.

" I DON'T LIKE ANYONE! " Zenitsu protested with teary eyes.

Jigoro stared at him with a deadpan expression.

" Zenitsu, you can't lie to me. You have that same expression Yua had when she met Asahi. Completely dazed with her head in the clouds and lovestruck. " Jigoro stated bluntly.

" Mama did? " Zenitsu repeated softly.

" Yep. Wouldn't stop thinking about him or even talking about him. Pretty sure I knew a lot about him before even meeting him in person. " Jigoro shrugged, " Now, I don't mind you having a crush on your future spouse but first, go and focus on your training! We're doing thirty extra swinging sets to make up for your lack of focus! "

" GRAMPS! YOU'RE GOING TO KILL ME! "
*
" Zenitsu! Dinner's ready! " Jigoro called out.

" Hai... " Zenits groaned as he left the comfort of his bed after his shower to finally fill his stomach with some much needed food.

" Kaigaku-nii isn't here? " Zenitsu asked when he reached the kitchen to see two sets of plates laid out instead of three.

" Bah, didn't even returned home last night and the food I left out for him wasn't even touched so I had to eat it for lunch instead. He can serve himself food if he ever comes home tonight. " Jigoro huffed as the two took their seats.