Chapter 5

" Tanjirou? Tanjirou! "

Eyes snapped back to reality as Tanjirou stuttered out, " H-Hai?! "

" Tanjirou, you've been spacing out there for a while now. And you've been standing at that bread section for a while now too. " Kie said with a small smile as Tanjirou blushed in embarrassment, " Is something wrong? Is school not treating you well? "

" Oh no! It's going fine, mother! " Tanjirou assured her quickly, " Everyone has been good to me actually. "

" Are you sure? Are you worried about someone? Knowing how good your heart is, it might be just that. " Kie persisted.

" Well... " Tanjirou hesitated but seeing the look in his mother's eyes that she won't be letting him go any time soon made him cave in, " ...I met someone new. He's part of the student council and does uniform checks. "

" Is he strict towards you? " Kie questioned.

" No, no! It's not that, he's a really nice guy. " Tanjirou protested, " He's always telling me not to wear my earrings but he kinda lets me slide by...although he does get scolded by Tomioka-sensei when he does--AH! "

" What's wrong?! " Kie asked, startled by Tanjirou's sudden exclamation.

'Tomioka-sensei...was that Tomioka-sensei who I saw earlier in school? But he was holding a sword, does that mean he's dangerous?' Tanjirou was lost in his thoughts.

" --anjirou! Tanjirou! " finally, Kie's voice managed to finally get Tanjirou's attention.

" Huh? " Tanjirou looked up at her in confusion.

" I think you should take the day off. " Kie began gently but shushed her son when he began to protest, " No, I think you need it to organise your thoughts. It won't help if you get distracted while helping me out here. Don't worry, I'm sure Takeo is willing to help out since his beloved big brother needs a break. "

" But-- "

" If you need to talk to someone or need advice about whatever is going on in your head today, talk to me after dinner. " Kie said firmly but comfortingly.

Tanjirou stared at her for a minute before letting out a sigh and taking off his apron to show that he's complying with his mother's wishes. He slowly walked up the stairs that leads to his house on the second floor.
*
'Hmm, what if it isn't actually Tomioka-sensei? But I keep having those strange dreams...when did it start? When I met Zenitsu wasn't it?' Tanjirou thought worriedly, 'Is hanging out with Zenitsu bad? Is it a sign that something bad will happen? But Zenitsu is a good person! I can smell it! Is my nose malfunctioning?' Tanjirou wondered, 'Did anything different happen after I met Zenitsu?'

Tanjirou closed his eyes to ponder that question for a long while until his eyes snapped open in realisation.

" I don't have a hole anymore! " Tanjirou gasped out as he placed a hand on his chest.

" Tan-nii! Tan-nii! " a voice chirped as Tanjirou's door to his bedroom swung open and a head poked in.

" Ah, Rokuta! What's up? " Tanjirou turned to see his youngest brother and smiled at him.

" Why you not bakaree? " Rokuta asked, stumbling into the room and trying to climb up onto Tanjirou's bed, " You not good? "

Tanjirou hooked his arms around Rokuta's body and carried him up to his bed cause Rokuta to squeal happily. Even though Rokuta is only two years old, turning three soon, he's already talking more than his peers and almost in complete sentences. He even has a grasp on some words other toddlers don't seem to be capable of even though his pronunciation is a bit wonky.