Chapter 6

Previously

A tear dropped onto Tanjirou's cheek. Before more dropped onto him. Tanjirou stared at his sister in shock as he saw the tears forming and her sad moans as she trembled. The man with the two-patterned haori and unruly hair Tanjirou had seen in an earlier flashback was running towards them. He had jumped with his sword raised up in the air, intent to kill Nezuko.

Nezuko glanced behind her, sensing the presence but she was shoved aside by Tanjirou and in the end, the hair of his which was in a ponytail was cut. The sword hit the snowy ground and the impact of it sent snow flying everywhere. Tanjirou had hugged Nezuko to him and the two rolled until they hit a tree. Nezuko had shrunk back to her normal size.

'What the...' Tanjirou's blurry vision slowly focused as the man turned towards them.

'Who's...' Tanjirou's eyes slowly widened as he took in the man's appearance and face.

'That's...'

An emotionless expression with dull dark blue eyes stared at him.

'Tomioka-sensei?!'

Present

" AH! " Tanjirou screamed as he sat up in bed, panting.

" Tanjirou?! " Kie's worried call was heard before his door was swung open to show Kie, Nezuko and Takeo at the doorway with worried expressions.

" Onii-chan, you're crying! " Nezuko cried out, rushing into the room.

" Huh...? " Tanjirou put a hand to his cheek and indeed felt tears running down them.

" Now, now, give him space. " Kie ordered before Nezuko can pester him, " Tanjirou, look at me. Deep breaths, 1,2,3, in...out...in...out... "

After a few moments, Tanjirou was able to breathe normally again. Kie urged him to go back to sleep and kissed his forehead. She turned to her other two children and ushered them out.

" Nezuko, Tanjirou won't be going to school today. Can you help gather his work for him if possible? " Kie asked.

" Hai. " Nezuko nodded.

" Mother, do you think onii-chan will be okay? " Takeo asked worriedly.

" I'm sure he will after some good rest. Now, go and get ready before helping the others so as to not be late to school. " Kie commanded with her two children complying.

When her two children have gone disappeared into their respective rooms, Kie sighed and looked towards the picture of her and Tanjuro, her late husband, together during their wedding displayed on the wall.

'Tanjuro, please help Tanjiro...he needs all the help he can get right now...' Kie prayed.

~Tanjirou's Dream~

" Tanjirou....Tanjirou.. "

Tanjirou slowly opened his eyes to see that he was in a white void with his head in the lap of someone. He looked up to see a very familiar face.

" Father! " Tanjirou cried out happily, scrambling up to a sitting position before throwing his arms over his father's shoulders.

" Tanjirou, I'm glad to see you're doing well. " Tanjuro whispered gently as he hugged his son, " But, things may get rough for the next few weeks or maybe even months. "

" Father? What do you mean? " Tanjirou asked in confusion.

" Those memories you've been seeing...they have a purpose. " Tanjuro said mysteriously as he looked up at the gloomy, grey, ominous clouds that seemed to have made its way into the white void.