| 014; f o u r t e e n.

[ R E M U S ]

[10.14.1976]

[ t h i r d p e r s o n]

[ unedited ]

"you did WHAT?" remus shouted

"she needed to know and she was going to find out eventually, moony," sirius said, defending himself. 

"that wasn't for you to tell, sirius!"

"actually, from what i remember, we were all there and we were all a part of it. it's not like i told her about your furry little problem."

remus sighed and put his head in his hands. "merlin, sirius, you couldn't even tell me before you were going to do it so that i could have at the very least prepared myself?"

"rem, if i had known that she was going to put me under a bloody truth serum, i wouldn't have even gone! i didn't have a choice," sirius retorted. 

"i know, i know, it's not your fault, i'm sorry," he said, rubbing his eyes. 

"i need a bloody break from everything, mate," sirius groaned. he stood up and strutted out of the grand hall. before remus could take a bite of his omelette, james sat down in front of him. 

"is he still mad?" james asked. 

"i really can't tell you that, mate. you need to sort this one out on your own. you slept with the girl he loves."

"bloody hell, i didn't mean to! i was drunk!"

"bullshit excuse if you ask me because sirius and ivory got drunk alone together in the room of requirements last night and simply talked."

"and what? you actually believe that?" james scoffed. 

"yes, james, i do. like it or not, sirius isn't the dog that he used to be. ivory changed him. she made him a better person. and you went behind his back and slept with her. so yes, i believe him. i believe every word that comes out of my best friend's mouth because he's not an arrogant, self-entitled prick like you. have a fantastic day." and with that, remus stood up and made his way out of the castle.

☆☆☆

"he's so bloody arrogant, lily!" remus exclaimed as the two friends sat beneath the shade of the tree by the lake after potions. 

"oh my merlin, really? i wonder who's been saying that since day one!" 

"alright, alright, i get it. aren't you mad at him as well?"

"of course i am! i spent forever trying to befriend ivory for his benefit so that we would get along better, then he goes and sleeps with her! it makes absolutely no bloody sense to me! i finally start showing interest in him and then BOOM! he has to go and screw it up. or better yet, shrew her. i tried giving him a chance, and it obviously didn't do me any good, so why keep trying?" lily ranted angrily. they were so focused on the conversation that neither of them noticed james walk up behind them.

"you have every right to be upset with me, lily, but—"

"upset? you've got to be fucking kidding me, potter! i'm not upset i'm FURIOUS! after all these years of you trying to get with me, i decide to give us a shot and you bloody ruined it. so help me, if you speak one word to me ever again i will shove my fist so far down your throat that you taste—"

"okay, okay lily," remus cut in. "let's go. we have an essay to write."

by this point, lily evans was the deepest shade of red that remus had ever seen. he was surprised to see his friend react like that. they walked away, lily fuming, and remus trying to suppress a laugh, leaving james potter standing by the lake completely astonished.

"that was bloody brilliant, lils," sirius smirked, joined them. 

lily jumped. "fuck, sirius. where'd you come from?"

"the deep, dark abyss," he said eerily, wiggling his eyebrows and fingers. 

"you're one special kind of special, sirius black," she sighed.

"i know," he giggled, tucking a strand of hair behind his ear for special effects.

"i'm so done with this place. i don't want to be here anymore," lily sighed. 

"don't say that. you love hogwarts. just not james. you don't love what's going on. it'll work out, lily, seriously. everything happens for a reason."

"you're obviously taking this a lot better than i am, siri. i don't know how you're doing it."

little did lily know that sirius would stay up all night in the bathroom sobbing. he'd run the water and spend all night wide awake. it pained remus to see his friend this way, but any time that he would bring it up, sirius would immediately zone out and find some reason to not talk about it. it made sense though. remus had no idea what he would do if one of his best mates did something with arden. 

"i've been thinking about getting my own place," sirius said, breaking remus's thoughts. "you know, for when i have to go home for the summer. i don't know if i can live with james anymore. i don't want to be a burden on his parents."

"sirius, that's a really big responsibility. you should really think about this—"

"i've been sitting on it for a couple of weeks now. i inherited a lot of money from my uncle alphard when he died. i think it would be a great idea. you know, living in a muggle community over the summer. i could work on my bike in the den—"

"sirius i don't think muggles bring vehicles into their living rooms. do you mean the garage?" lily laughed. 

"yeah, that. sorry, i'm still doing my research. but what do you guys think? be honest."

"i don't think it's—" lily began. 

"i think it's a great idea sirius. i'm happy to see that you're making your own decisions," remus said with a smile. 

"i make my own decisions all the time!" sirius argued. 

"sure you do, mate," remus laughed, lily joining in, and eventually sirius gave in, too, until they were stumbling down the corridor.