| 015; f i f t e e n.

[ A R D E N ]

[10.20.1976]

[ t h i r d  p e r s o n]

[ unedited ]

arden had been much more quiet over than the next week than the boys were used to

arden had been much more quiet over than the next week than the boys were used to. sirius was the only person that she would talk to, and frankly, he was the only person that she felt truly understood her pain. she sat with lily in silence at breakfast as the morning post came through, delivered by owls of various colors and breeds. she was surprised to receive a letter as she ate her porridge. she set her spoon down and gently peeled the wax tipped envelope open.

astronomy tower
11 o'clock
lunch will be provided, don't worry :)
-s

she smiled as she read the letter, folding it back up delicately and placing it in the pocket of her robe. 

she looked across the long table and caught sirius's eye and smiled. she gave the boy a curt nod and went back to her breakfast. 

it was currently 9:30, and arden knew that she had to finish up a few class assignments before she could meet sirius for lunch, so she got up and went up to her dormitory. when she got up to her room, she found ivory sorting through papers on her bed. 

"ivory," arden said, shocked. "hi..."

ivory looked up. "oh. hey arden."

"what are you doing?" arden asked. 

"oh, you know, just sorting the endless number of papers and essays that i've written this semester. what are you doing up here? shouldn't you be at breakfast?"

"yeah, well i had to work on slughorn's foot and a half scroll before class tomorrow, so i figured that i should do that before lunch."

"ah, well, best of luck. you know how his assignments are. i'll be heading off. i'll see you later." and with that, ivory was out of the room. 

arden sighed and sat on the edge of her bed, reaching for her school bag. now, arden had never been one for snooping... but the papers on ivory's bed were most certainly not pertaining to school. 

just a peek, she thought to herself. she quickly flipped through the pages that were stacked together. 

"oh my merlin," she muttered. there's no way.

☆☆☆

arden raced up the stairwell at 10:58 that day, grinning from ear to ear. she couldn't wait to talk to sirius about what she had found earlier. 

"merlin, sirius why didn't you tell me—" ardens smile fell. "remus. hi."

"hey... i hope this is—"

"where's sirius?"

"um he said that he told you to meet me up here. did he not?"

arden felt around her pockets before finding the letter she received at breakfast.

astronomy tower
11 o'clock
lunch will be provided, don't worry :)
-s

of course. sirius's vague ass letter didn't specify. 

"well, yes, i suppose he did."

"oh, hah, um great. so, uh, h- how've you been? it's been a while—"

"what exactly is it that you want to get out of this, remus?" she said shortly. 

"i just wanted to talk. i wanted to explain myself," remus said. arden sat in silence, waiting for him to continue. 

"i— i wanted to say that i was going to tell you. i was. it was definitely something that i needed to bring up soon and i know that this is my fault. you need to know that i never thought badly of you and i never said anything of those things about you. i swear."

"i know," she stated, emotionlessly. 

"please, arden, i need you to understand that i've thought very highly of you since that first night, and you— merlin, i suck at words. i'm sorry."

"okay, so let me get this straight: you talked to me because of a... dare? i think we can agree that that's some 4th grade bullshit."

"sorry?"

"i don't understand, why exactly am i here right now?"

"i couldn't tell you. why haven't you walked out yet?"

"i don't know. i think a part of me wants to forgive you because you didn't mean to hurt anyone, but the other part of me doesn't know whether i should forgive you or not for lying to my face."

"that's understandable. just... take your time. i don't want you making a decision you'll come to regret. but just know that i truly am sorry," and with that, remus began walking away. 

"wait, remus, hold on," arden said abruptly. 

remus snapped back around to face the girl. "what? what is it?"

"where's the food?"

he laughed and held up the bag in his hand. 

"wouldn't want to waste food. what kind of an awful human being does that?" 

"i completely agree, miss campbell."

———

okay, okay yes— shortish chapter. i'm sorry. but i have a question:
do remus lupin and spencer reid remind you of each other? yes? no? okay.