➸ Chapter Fourteen: Reunions

Will

 I tap my hand against my thigh nervously as the cab flies through the streets of London. I've been back a couple of times in the last five years but those visits were for business. This time...well, this time is for Carter's wedding.

He called me a few weeks ago while I was still at work.

"So, you know that I'm dating Bree, right?"

I didn't entirely support that relationship. I can't figure out exactly what it is, but Bree just gives me an odd feeling. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. Or I still resented her for delivering me Allie's letter. I suppose I need to blame someone because, as hard as I tried, I just couldn't hate Allie.

"Yeah, what's going on with you two?" I asked, spinning my chair around to face the windows that look out on the New York skyline. It was one of the perks of being a CEO of Collins Enterprises. There are parts of my job that I hate: not being able to have a life outside of work, having to constantly maintain my image and reputation, and the pretentious brown nosers I have to deal with on occasion. And there are parts that I love: the view from my office, being able to help people (as rare as that is), and the fact that it means my dad doesn't have to work, which makes my mom happier.

"Actually...a lot," Carter said and I could already imagine a grin spreading across his face. "I proposed to her."

I inhaled sharply. This certainly complicated things. It was one thing not to like Carter's girlfriend, it was another not to like his wife. I remain silent, but when Carter does the same, I asked,

"And, what did she say?"

"Yes, of course," Carter said with a laugh. "I'm disappointed you don't have more faith in my ability to woo her."

"Right, sorry," I said with a laugh. "Full and complete faith in your 'wooing' abilities."

Carter chuckled and inhaled deeply before asking,

"So, how would you like to be invited to the engagement party?"

I froze in my chair. An invite back to London was certainly not what I was expecting.

"I don't know about that, Carter."

"Think about it, at least," Carter said. "You have to come back at some point."

"Not necessarily," I muttered softly so he couldn't hear me.

"I've never asked about what happened between you and Allie-"

I cut him off, suddenly annoyed.

"Because I told you not to."

I pushed myself up from my chair and started to pace across my office.

"And I've never pushed, have I?" Carter asked.

The silence that hung between us was answer enough.

Carter started again, his voice softer.

"Please, just think about it. I haven't seen you in so long...and I really want you to be there."

I exhaled roughly and stopped in front of one of my windowpanes. I let my forehead rest on the glass and my breath fogged up the glass.

"I'm telling you it's going to be a bad idea..." I started and let the rest of my sentence dangle.

Carter said nothing and with a deep breath, I finally said,

"Okay, I'll come to London."