ー5

Salty liquids trickled from Eun's eyes as she desperately sniffled them back, heart feeling so heavy that it rested in her stomach

Her hair was a rats' nest of strands, whirled haphazardly upon her head like she had just walked through a hurricane.

Her eye was swollen, decorated with horrid black and blue hues as she despairingly attempted to suppress the quiet sobs that threatened to escape her throat, but they never ceased- no matter how much she told them to.

The putrid scent of rubbing alcohol masked the soothing aroma of pumpkin spice that wafted off of a lit candle in the corner, propped onto a wooden desk.

The warm, fuzzy texture of a blanket caressed Eun's fingers, tickling her legs as she sat upon it, sinking into the mattress that rested beneath it.

Kneeling beside her was her closest friend: Heejin.

Her short, brown hair was pulled into a tight ponytail, kept in place by a few bobby-pins like she was about to go tumbling rather than treat someone's wounds.

Heejin had a round, almost babyish face, and her reddish lips seemed to be stuck in a permanent pout; a pout that seemed extra prominent as she observed Eun.

Her teeth held her lip hostage as she concentrated, and her fingers brushed over the cold plastic of her first aid kit- something she wished she used less. 

Her large, grayish eyes bore into the side of Eun's face, examining a cut the size of her finger that rested upon Eun's cheek, juxtaposing her pale complexion.

Blood seeped through the wound, but it wasn't a serious injury; Eun could easily say she had merely fallen and scraped her cheek without overselling it.

Heejin's grasp closed over a small cleansing pad the size of a soy sauce cup, and she fished it out of the kit, dabbing a bit of rubbing alcohol onto it.

Gently, Heejin pressed the pad into Eun's wound, which prompted her to wince, lips pressing together so tight that it pained her.

Patting the wound carefully, Heejin's pad absorbed a majority of the blood that escaped Eun's body- watching as it's white surface grew red.

"You need to get out," She uttered, softly, yet sternly.

"I'm trying," Eun whimpered, eyes falling to her white carpet- now stained with drops of blood. "I'm saving up money."

"I know you are," Heejin sighed, turning to the side.

Snatching up a large bandaid, she pulled off the paper backing and applied the item to Eun's skin, ensuring it's stability.

"But you know my parents are having me study in Australia," Heejin continued, hands falling into her lap. "You won't be able run to my house when this happens."

Heejin's soft eyes raked over Eun, lips pursed together as she bit her lip, so worried for the girl she thought she might vomit.

Eun's head fell, tears leaking from her eyes as she stared silently at her lap, knowing her words were true, yet she didn't want to accept them.

Without Heejin, she was bound to be lonely; lost, even, and stranded with her chaotic family, devoid of a lifeline to cling to.

Her breath was ragged, and she was afraid to blink, thinking that something or someone would sneak up on her if she did.

Her hands shook, eyes blurry as tears clouded her vision, but she didn't seem to care; despite her injuries, losing Heejin was her concern at the moment.

"What are you going to do?" Heejin cooed softly, fingers brushing against Eun's.

Her hand slipped into Eun's, and the girl clung to it tightly, grip never ceasing.

Despite Eun's urge to explode into a flurry of tears, she met her grayish eyes, and she smiled, yet it didn't quite reach Eun's eyes.

"I'll figure it out," She muttered, blinking back the pain from her black eye.

Although her words were brave, she hadn't the slightest idea of what she was to do.

 Hey I'm not dead

Hey I'm not dead