Stanley

My name is Stanley Yelnats. All my life I always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. My mom says it's because of my no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather. Legend has it, he broke a deal with a gypsy back in Latvia, Madame Zeroni. Rightfully so, she cursed the whole family.

            I guess I have her to thank for ending up here at Camp Greenlake. You see, I was late getting home from school one day when a pair of shoes fell from the sky. My dad is an inventor who's spent my whole life searching for a remedy for stinky feet. I thought it was destiny. To my surprise, they were Clive Livingston's shoes and they were stolen from an orphanage. Framed with the crime, I was shipped off to Camp Green Lake to serve an 18-month sentence for theft.

When I got off the bus, the hot, dry air seeped into my pores like lava. The guard led me into Mr. Sir's office. I gazed around the room while he went over my file. The place was a mess. Papers and sunflower seed shells everywhere. "Quit smokin'" Mr. Sir said harshly to the guard, "Lou keeps tossin' my cigs". The guard laughed and shook his head.

From there, Mr. Sir led me to the laundry room. A pretty brown-skinned girl with her curly hair pulled into two buns on the top of her head was folding towels when we arrived. She walked around to the front of the folding table and crossed her arms in front of her chest. She wore a white tank top tied in the front of her torso an distressed denim jeans that hid her belly button.

"Ty – give me a size 8 and a half for the newest member of our dysfunctional family," He spat before instructing me to strip. I hesitated and looked around the room for a door to hide behind.

"Ain't nothin' I never seen before," said Ty. She looked me up and down as she blew a pink bubble with her gum. She inhaled once it grew past her nose. POP. Mr. Sir shot her a look, annoyed with the gum popping

"I quit smokin'," she said.

"What I say boy?" Mr Sir threw the orange jumpsuit at my chest. I must have spaced out for a minute while Ty was talking.

"Sorry, Mr. Sir," I said. To my embarrassment, I'd tripped over myself trying to get into the suit. I heard Ty snort and I blushed. They didn't make girls that pretty where I come from.

"You are to dig one hole a day; five feet deep and five feet in diameter," he reached a hand out to catch the shovel Ty readily tossed his way. They must do this routine everyday. "Your shovel is your measuring stick." A small, enthusiastic man entered the room and held out his hand for me to shake.

"You must be Stanley! I'm Mr. Pendanski, your counselor. I see you've met already Ty. I'll introduce you to the rest of the gang." Ty gave a gentle wave and rolled her eyes.

"Don't start that touchy feely crap. I'm out of here. Ty, hook him up." She handed me a folded towel, some shower tokens, and a bar of soap. When I accepted the care package from her, my fingers gently graced hers. She drew her hands back quickly and crossed them again in front of her chest.

"Sorry," I said softly.

"Don't waste them," she was referring to the shower tokens, "I don't replace lost of stolen tokens. Drop your dirty clothes and towel off here at the end of the week to switch out for clean ones. Drop offs are on Saturdays and Saturdays only. He's all yours, mom."